Belmont Club

Forum for pundits of interest to Davosman members. Please make one thread per pundit.
Doc

Re: Belmont Club

Post by Doc » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:08 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:15 pm
Since coronavirus is in the news, building out on the plague (or flood....) metaphor is relevant:

The giant institution vs the virus
Without much fanfare one of the most dramatic changes in modern history occurred. Britain left the European Union. Boris Johnson tweeted, "the Withdrawal Agreement has received Royal Assent and is now law. We will leave the EU on January 31st".

A similar resolution has eluded America. Yet while the US Senate is preparing to begin what will probably be a failed impeachment trial of Donald Trump, the old global world continues to be shaken by unforeseen developments. China's lunar new year -- its most festive occasion -- was ruined by the outbreak of a new coronavirus, 2019-nCoV. A quarantine zone has encloses more than 10 cities and a population the size of Canada.

But its impact was global. Canada already teetering on the edge of an economic slowdown "would face a major test if the disease spreads into the North American country, economists said." Skynews described how a virus that may have started in a local wild animal fresh meat market in central China's Wuhan spread around the world.
https://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/th ... the-virus/
Perhaps Canada should ban Corona to favor domestic brands to boost its economy.

“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Post by Milo » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:04 pm

Doc wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:08 pm
lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Since coronavirus is in the news, building out on the plague (or flood....) metaphor is relevant:

Without much fanfare one of the most dramatic changes in modern history occurred. Britain left the European Union. Boris Johnson tweeted, "the Withdrawal Agreement has received Royal Assent and is now law. We will leave the EU on January 31st".

A similar resolution has eluded America. Yet while the US Senate is preparing to begin what will probably be a failed impeachment trial of Donald Trump, the old global world continues to be shaken by unforeseen developments. China's lunar new year -- its most festive occasion -- was ruined by the outbreak of a new coronavirus, 2019-nCoV. A quarantine zone has encloses more than 10 cities and a population the size of Canada.

But its impact was global. Canada already teetering on the edge of an economic slowdown "would face a major test if the disease spreads into the North American country, economists said." Skynews described how a virus that may have started in a local wild animal fresh meat market in central China's Wuhan spread around the world.

Nobody drinks Corona here.

Piper’s is quite good but my favourite is probably Big Rock.

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:56 am

Milo wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:04 pm
Doc wrote:
lzzrdgrrl wrote:

In the US, it is said people prefer Giant Meteor over Big Rock :P
“"I fancied myself as some kind of god....It is a sort of disease when you consider yourself some kind of god, the creator of everything, but I feel comfortable about it now since I began to live it out.” -- George Soros

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:42 pm

Doc wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:56 am
Milo wrote:
Doc wrote:
lzzrdgrrl wrote:

And here I thought some American would bring up rolling rock.

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:32 pm

Milo wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:42 pm
Doc wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:56 am
Milo wrote:
Doc wrote:
lzzrdgrrl wrote:

And here I thought some American would bring up rolling rock.
I don't like mossless beer.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:39 pm

"Rolling Rock?" Proles such as I prefer our PBR's, thank you. It's not as if I haven't sat around with sophisticates quaffing all kinds of exotic brews in the US. In the Caribbean I liked my greenies (Heinekens) over all sorts of other "quality" imports, though Carib beer (St Kitts) was a cheap and tasty alternative. And in SE Asia, Beer Chang rules, but chilled Beer Lao - when in Laos - is really good.

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:01 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:39 pm
"Rolling Rock?" Proles such as I prefer our PBR's, thank you. It's not as if I haven't sat around with sophisticates quaffing all kinds of exotic brews in the US. In the Caribbean I liked my greenies (Heinekens) over all sorts of other "quality" imports, though Carib beer (St Kitts) was a cheap and tasty alternative. And in SE Asia, Beer Chang rules, but chilled Beer Lao - when in Laos - is really good.
You want to talk about beer. Are you sure you want to talk about beer?

We used to drink this stuff when I was young and we didn't have much money. If you could pronounce the name after drinking 3 of them you were a macho kind of guy. I honestly saw guys drink three then pass out.

The only place you could buy it was in out of the way beer distributors Preferably late at night out the back door. About 20% of the bottles had their labels up side down and it was probably 20% alcohol as we..

Now that was beer.

https://ghostsignsandroasides.wordpress ... of-flavor/

Milo

Post by Milo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:38 pm

I get to Massachusetts now and then, I like a Sam Adams when I am there.

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:08 am

Milo wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:38 pm
I get to Massachusetts now and then, I like a Sam Adams when I am there.
How about Samuel Jackson beer?

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:49 pm

Revolutionary Martyrs

YOU’RE NOT ALLOWED TO FILM!” is a cry you hear incessantly at protests in Portland....
That’s because they are faceless multitudes without a Goebbels to burnish their fame nor any Alberto Korda to immortalize their image. A hundred million people may have been killed by Communism, but the world mourns the Communist because his face is on a t-shirt. Given this, it is easy to understand why antifa wants to control who can video the riots/protests in Portland.
https://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/20 ... rs-n892989
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........