Search found 1433 matches

by Sertorio
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:34 am
Forum: Current Events
Topic: Protectionism, does it work?
Replies: 17
Views: 214

Re: Protectionism, does it work?

neverfail wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:14 am
Protectionism has the sum total effect of transferring wealth from one set of hands into another.
One set of hands abroad to another set of hands at home. Which is not meaningless...
by Sertorio
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:42 am
Forum: Current Events
Topic: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Replies: 189
Views: 157633

Re: rather, American workers are copping it in the neck again.

As less than 10% of Muslims are Shia I don't think you need to call anyone. Iran would be swarmed by the other 90%. It's not a matter of numbers, it is a matter of power. And Iran is a lot more powerful and battle hardened than Saudi Arabia. In a war between those two states, Saudi wouldn't last ve...
by Sertorio
Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:43 am
Forum: Current Events
Topic: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Replies: 189
Views: 157633

Re: rather, American workers are copping it in the neck again.

Meantime, why is Trump attempting to drive Iran out of the oil export trade? Don't you think that this is putting upward pressures on the world price of oil? Yes of course. It is a matter of supply and demand. But he perceives Iran to be a threat. So the rise of oil that any restriction of Iranian ...
by Sertorio
Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:41 am
Forum: Current Events
Topic: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Replies: 189
Views: 157633

Re: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Wages will not go up unless workers are unionized or unemployment falls below 3.5%. A collapse in the rate of union membership for private-sector employees — to 6.5 percent last year from the upper teens in the early 1980s — appears to have played a key role in holding down wages. https://www.nytime...
by Sertorio
Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:09 am
Forum: Current Events
Topic: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Replies: 189
Views: 157633

Re: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

What is the 8th commandment? Thou Shalt not Steal. Interesting. You probably will agree that productivity gains in a firm result from the efforts of both workers and capitalists, but what we have seen in the last couple of decades is that productivity gains are almost 100% taken over by capital, le...
by Sertorio
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:59 am
Forum: Current Events
Topic: Russia's Demographics
Replies: 1
Views: 39

Russia's Demographics

Regularly people on this board declare their expectations of a Russia demise based on its poor demographic performance. Spengler published on his latest article on the Asia Times the following graph: http://static.atimes.com/uploads/2018/07/total-fertility-580x421.png As one can see Russia's fertili...
by Sertorio
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:36 am
Forum: Current Events
Topic: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Replies: 189
Views: 157633

Re: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Admit it, Neverfail, human nature does not allow Socialism to succeed. Any shortcoming of humanity may be seen as the result of "human nature", but that doesn't mean you cannot do anything about it. Greed by individuals may seriously harm society, and you just let it go because it is "human nature"...
by Sertorio
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:11 am
Forum: Current Events
Topic: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Replies: 189
Views: 157633

Re: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Admit it, Neverfail, human nature does not allow Socialism to succeed. Any shortcoming of humanity may be seen as the result of "human nature", but that doesn't mean you cannot do anything about it. Greed by individuals may seriously harm society, and you just let it go because it is "human nature"...
by Sertorio
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:01 am
Forum: Current Events
Topic: Protectionism, does it work?
Replies: 17
Views: 214

Re: Protectionism, does it work?

So, after seeing headline after headline going on about how disastrous Brexit and these "trade wars" will be, I see markets up, employment up and no evidence of inflation. Is it time to declare protectionism works? Oh, it works all right Milo. We had 80 years experience with it out here and it prov...
by Sertorio
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:56 am
Forum: Current Events
Topic: Czech communists return to government as power brokers.
Replies: 9
Views: 153

Re: Czech communists return to government as power brokers.

But why do you think that present day Czech communists are not closer to Dubcek's ideas than to the older stalinist version? I have not studied the situation over there in depth but very likely you are right and they are. They would want to be for I regard the Czechs as an unusually astute people w...