Nancy Pelosi trumps Fidel Castro as history's most irrepressible windbag..?

For everything else for now
neverfail

Nancy Pelosi trumps Fidel Castro as history's most irrepressible windbag..?

Post by neverfail » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:54 am

Nancy Pelosi stages record-breaking, 8-hour House speech in push for vote on 'Dreamers'

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-08/n ... ch/9408018

But did anyone have the patience to sit through her speech and listen?

SteveFoerster

Re: Nancy Pelosi trumps Fidel Castro as history's most irrepressible windbag..?

Post by SteveFoerster » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:42 am

She may be an irrepressible windbag, but she's right about dreamers. Deporting them is an authoritarian measure that is patently immoral, cruel, anti-family, and economically illiterate.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:49 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:42 am
She may be an irrepressible windbag, but she's right about dreamers. Deporting them is an authoritarian measure that is patently immoral, cruel, anti-family, and economically illiterate.
That's quite a fair comment Steve. I was only comparing her 8 hour performance with the legendary hours' long public, pep-talk speeches for which Castro in his heyday was well known for.

I am of the opinion these days (despite my sometimes long posts on this website) that when stating your case (as a rule) the more succinctly you are able to do it, the more likely your listeners are to remember what you say afterwards.

Which moves me to wonder whether Pelosi was wasting her breath.

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:03 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Considering that Trump proposes to give 1.8 million (a million more than the democrats) permanent residence plus a path to citizenship would seem to make Pelosi even more of a wind bag.
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” … George Orwell

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:02 am

Doc wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:03 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Considering that Trump proposes to give 1.8 million (a million more than the democrats) permanent residence plus a path to citizenship would seem to make Pelosi even more of a wind bag.
Amazed me how Trump has back flipped on this.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:32 am

neverfail wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:02 am
Doc wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Amazed me how Trump has back flipped on this.
He did it to box teh Democrats in. They have no place left to gofor the 2018 election. DACA was their sword and Trump got them to fall on it.
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” … George Orwell

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:52 pm

Doc wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
True if he actually signs something. But he's such an habitual liar that until that happens I believe nothing.

(And yes, within that, I realise he doesn't control Congress.)

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:46 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:52 pm
Doc wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
True if he actually signs something. But he's such an habitual liar that until that happens I believe nothing.
The irony is that the democrats can't vote for it and therefore have to say it is not good enough. Even though 1 million more dreamers will be allowed to have permanence residence under it. Either they are making a stand in support of DACA or they are just playing politics (IE Lying about their motives)

THe truth is they do not want DACA to pass it is the only thing they have left to run on.

(And yes, within that, I realise he doesn't control Congress.)
[/quote]

I disagreee on this Trump has boxed in the democrats on this. That is control.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:20 pm

Could either of you good men enlighten me on this? I thought that Trump was keen to deport over 1 million undocumented illegals back to El Salvador and a few weeks later he wants to give all of their "dreamer" offspring permanent residence in the US. Why this apparent policy backflip?

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:44 pm

neverfail wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:20 pm
Could either of you good men enlighten me on this? I thought that Trump was keen to deport over 1 million undocumented illegals back to El Salvador and a few weeks later he wants to give all of their "dreamer" offspring permanent residence in the US. Why this apparent policy backflip?
Because Trump is personally completely uninterested in policy, and is being blown back and forth by different factions in the White House.