Doggie Hamlet

For everything else for now
Doc

Doggie Hamlet

Post by Doc » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:42 am

http://freebeacon.com/culture/nyt-accus ... ie-hamlet/

NYT Accuses Free Beacon of Defaming ‘Doggie Hamlet’
Defends performers running and chasing sheep as moving piece on 'what it means to be a citizen of the world'

doggie hamlet

BY: Elizabeth Harrington Follow @LizWFB
April 10, 2017 4:59 am

The New York Times is defending a taxpayer-funded production of "Doggie Hamlet," claiming the Washington Free Beacon missed the point that the outdoor sheepherding dance performance was really about "what it means to be a citizen of the world."

A 1,200-word endorsement of "Doggie Hamlet" published in the dance section of the print edition on Sunday argued the Free Beacon‘s report failed to put the proper context about the performance in which no lines of Shakespeare are spoken, but several people run around in a field with sheep and dogs.

"But Is It Art? In the Case of ‘Doggie Hamlet,' Yes," the headline for the piece written by Gia Kourlas reads.

The Free Beacon revealed the funding of "Doggie Hamlet" by the National Endowment for the Arts in December. Dartmouth College's Hopkins Center received $30,000 for a series of performances, including Ann Carlson's "Doggie Hamlet," which the Free Beacon described as featuring "actors yelling and running at sheep in a field in Vermont."

The Times bemoans that modern dance is "too easy to make fun of," and claims the Free Beacon did not delve deep enough into the performance that was inspired by the Oprah book club.

"At first glance, it doesn’t seem like a performance," writes Kourlas, a 2016 fellow at the Center for Ballet and the Arts at New York University. "The stage is a meadow, and the score is a collection of sounds, including the commands of a dog handler and the pounding of hooves. A woman extends her arms while four sheep, trailed by a determined dog, trot in a circular formation. In quick cuts, we see bigger flocks—a blur of curly wool and strong snouts—race by. Moments later, a young man holds a sheepskin and spins, before collapsing onto the grass."

"Is it silly? Is it pretentious? Is it art?" Kourlas asks.
More at the link
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx

lzzrdgrrl

Re: Doggie Hamlet

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:55 pm

Out, out damn Spot! Out, I say!
An ocean of SHOUT will not leave this carpet unblemish'd.....'>.....
Let's try this modelling exercise. Let's envision a world in a parallel universe somewhere let's say, where I'm right.........

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:12 pm

Bad doggie . . . bad Spot . . .see what you've done . . . Lady M is sorely vexed at you . . .

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:49 am

Wait, someone actually read the Washington Free Beacon, much less someone at the New York Times? :?
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Booklady

Post by Booklady » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:00 pm

Forsooth!

A pox on Doggie Hamlet! There's no room for faith, truth, nor honesty in this warty play.
It is all filled up with guts and a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours.

No I say, not high art, t'is but low Pasture art,spacious in the possession of dirt!
Beware not to step in it.
A saucer of cream will do for me, thank you for your kindness.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:24 am

Forsooth, indeed . . .

How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have an incontinent dog.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:33 am

My kingdom !!! My Kingdom for a super duper pooper scooper !!!
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx