Mini Ice Age Is Coming

is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe. Add your contributions here!
Booklady

Mini Ice Age Is Coming

Post by Booklady » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:32 pm

A saucer of cream will do for me, thank you for your kindness.

neverfail

Re: Mini Ice Age Is Coming

Post by neverfail » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:50 am

:o Don't you have one of those in North America every winter?

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:47 am

After watching the video, we trotted out critical in-stock underwear. For me, it was my fur-lined boxers. At my insistence, my wife extracted several fur thongs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... sited.html

Booklady

Post by Booklady » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:46 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:47 am
After watching the video, we trotted out critical in-stock underwear. For me, it was my fur-lined boxers. At my insistence, my wife extracted several fur thongs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... sited.html
Well, I can always count on you to watch the video, Jim. And I am happy for you that you and your spouse have some sturdy outer and inner wear, one can't always be too prepared for a mini ice age. :? :o :shock: :shock:

Booklady

Post by Booklady » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:16 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:50 am
Bless you neverfail, we don't have a mini ice age here in No. Florida. Our winters are very mild, it hardly ever snows. Never a blizzard. We have a wonderful winter, Bless the Lord!

What this video is presenting, however; is something else. By "mini" ice age, they refer to the length of time the ice age would last, they are talking about hundreds of years instead of seasonal climate changes.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:19 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:50 am
Booklady wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:16 pm
Bless you neverfail, we don't have a mini ice age here in No. Florida. Our winters are very mild, it hardly ever snows. Never a blizzard. We have a wonderful winter, Bless the Lord!
I am glad I grabbed your attention booklady. Like your response!

Yes, I am aware that while much of the USA gets snowbound each winter (and poor Canada entirely so); along the southern edge of the USA there is a relatively narrow annually snow-free zone that used to be dubbed 'the sunbelt'. However, when I was motoring around your country one winter (well, around the southwestern corner anyhow) I became aware that there was an even broader 'penumbra' zone where sometimes they get snow and sometimes they don't.

I saw a vivid illustration of this when driving down from Utah into Arizona. In Utah there were extensive snow patches on the high ground up there but in northern Arizona not a sign of it: only pleasant desert warmth and in early to mid-afternoon even heat haze rising off the desert floor. I booked into a convenient motel in Flagstaff and when I awoke at daylight the following morn I found myself snowed in. An overnight blizzard had delivered the best part of a meter of snow as I slept.

I knew that I was going nowhere that day so I booked in for another night and so holed up for the day with a good book subsisting on a pizza I had bought. The following day the roads had been cleared so I set out to drive further south. At first there was snow on the ground everywhere but on the highway but gradually the snow became thinner and more patchy then there was only wet ground where the snow had melted and finally only warm, dry desert where the snow had not reached.

Clearly, the southern bounds of North America's winter snowfall is not fixed and stable but can vary widely winter-to-winter.
Booklady wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:16 pm
What this video is presenting, however; is something else. By "mini" ice age, they refer to the length of time the ice age would last, they are talking about hundreds of years instead of seasonal climate changes.
Well, they had a mini-ice age in Europe for around 500 years. It did not kill off that continent but caused distress in the form of frequent crop failures and recurring famines. Ironically, it also coincided with Europe's unprecedented era of worldwide expansion - including into the Americas.

Ah, but in most parts of North America winter conditions are normally harsher that in most parts of Europe. Spring, summer, autumn or winter North America is a continent of far greater extremes in weather and climatic conditions.

On that basis you probably have something to fear from a mini-ice age.

Booklady

Post by Booklady » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:27 pm

Dear neverfail, when the mini ice age finally affects No. Florida, I will be long dead. Nevertheless...if I were alive, and spry, then I would be growing lilacs. There's always a silver lining. :D

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:49 pm

Booklady wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:27 pm
Dear neverfail, when the mini ice age finally affects No. Florida, I will be long dead. Nevertheless...if I were alive, and spry, then I would be growing lilacs. There's always a silver lining. :D
:D :D