The original Brexit

is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe. Add your contributions here!
Post Reply
User avatar
Doc
Posts: 1192
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

The original Brexit

Post by Doc » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:51 pm

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencen ... story.html
Natural Brexit: Britain's original separation from Europe left scars on English Channel

As it turns out, Brexit was not the first time Britain has separated from the European mainland. Scientists say that England and France were once connected by a ridge of land, until powerful waterfalls from an overfull lake demolished their connection.

The findings, published in the journal Nature Communications, help shed light on the emergence of Britain as an island, and on the changes this separation wrought in the greater region’s climate, ecology and human history.
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx

neverfail
Posts: 1133
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: The original Brexit

Post by neverfail » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:11 pm

Yep! Until around 14,000 years ago the entire British Isles barring a small strip along the present day south coast of England was buried under the western part of the Great northern European ice sheet; along with the North sea and Scandinavia. Then the ice melted over several thousand years and gradually the level of the Ocean rose globally: bringing into being the geography we know today.

(We make the mistake of assuming that geography is fixed and permanent for all time. The Earth is more dynamic than that.)

I know that the basin of the Irish Sea must have flooded separating Ireland from Britain before the terrestrial link connecting Britain to continental Europe was finally severed. Why? Because with the gradual return of warmer temperatures snakes and other species of reptile must have moved north across Europe and some managed to establish a permanent presence on the island of Britain. But Ireland is reptile free and always has been - well, since the ending of the last Ice Age anyhow.

Forget that old Irish myth about good Saint Patrick having driven all of the snakes out of Ireland. They never had them there in the first place.

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 1192
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: The original Brexit

Post by Doc » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:31 pm

neverfail wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:11 pm
Yep! Until around 14,000 years ago the entire British Isles barring a small strip along the present day south coast of England was buried under the western part of the Great northern European ice sheet; along with the North sea and Scandinavia. Then the ice melted over several thousand years and gradually the level of the Ocean rose globally: bringing into being the geography we know today.

(We make the mistake of assuming that geography is fixed and permanent for all time. The Earth is more dynamic than that.)

I know that the basin of the Irish Sea must have flooded separating Ireland from Britain before the terrestrial link connecting Britain to continental Europe was finally severed. Why? Because with the gradual return of warmer temperatures snakes and other species of reptile must have moved north across Europe and some managed to establish a permanent presence on the island of Britain. But Ireland is reptile free and always has been - well, since the ending of the last Ice Age anyhow.

Forget that old Irish myth about good Saint Patrick having driven all of the snakes out of Ireland. They never had them there in the first place.
That will be over soon enough The Clintons are talking about retiring to Ireland. :lol:
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx

neverfail
Posts: 1133
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: The original Brexit

Post by neverfail » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:56 pm

Doc wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:31 pm
neverfail wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:11 pm
Yep! Until around 14,000 years ago the entire British Isles barring a small strip along the present day south coast of England was buried under the western part of the Great northern European ice sheet; along with the North sea and Scandinavia. Then the ice melted over several thousand years and gradually the level of the Ocean rose globally: bringing into being the geography we know today.

(We make the mistake of assuming that geography is fixed and permanent for all time. The Earth is more dynamic than that.)

I know that the basin of the Irish Sea must have flooded separating Ireland from Britain before the terrestrial link connecting Britain to continental Europe was finally severed. Why? Because with the gradual return of warmer temperatures snakes and other species of reptile must have moved north across Europe and some managed to establish a permanent presence on the island of Britain. But Ireland is reptile free and always has been - well, since the ending of the last Ice Age anyhow.

Forget that old Irish myth about good Saint Patrick having driven all of the snakes out of Ireland. They never had them there in the first place.
That will be over soon enough The Clintons are talking about retiring to Ireland. :lol:
Snakes in the grass?

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 1192
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: The original Brexit

Post by Doc » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:47 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:56 pm
Doc wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:31 pm
neverfail wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:11 pm
Yep! Until around 14,000 years ago the entire British Isles barring a small strip along the present day south coast of England was buried under the western part of the Great northern European ice sheet; along with the North sea and Scandinavia. Then the ice melted over several thousand years and gradually the level of the Ocean rose globally: bringing into being the geography we know today.

(We make the mistake of assuming that geography is fixed and permanent for all time. The Earth is more dynamic than that.)

I know that the basin of the Irish Sea must have flooded separating Ireland from Britain before the terrestrial link connecting Britain to continental Europe was finally severed. Why? Because with the gradual return of warmer temperatures snakes and other species of reptile must have moved north across Europe and some managed to establish a permanent presence on the island of Britain. But Ireland is reptile free and always has been - well, since the ending of the last Ice Age anyhow.

Forget that old Irish myth about good Saint Patrick having driven all of the snakes out of Ireland. They never had them there in the first place.
That will be over soon enough The Clintons are talking about retiring to Ireland. :lol:
Snakes in the grass?
If Lorretta Lynch goes with them it would be snakes on a plane :D
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest