Drones are Great!

is a systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe. Add your contributions here!
Milo

Re: Drones are Great!

Post by Milo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:43 pm

Doc wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:34 pm
Milo wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:00 am
Small drone 'shot with Patriot missile'

A Patriot missile - usually priced at about $3m (£2.5m) - was used to shoot down a small quadcopter drone, according to a US general.

However, Gen Perkins suggested deploying large surface-to-air missiles as a defence was probably not economically wise.

"I'm not sure that's a good economic exchange ratio," he told an audience at the Association of the United States Army's Global Force symposium in Alabama.

"In fact, if I'm the enemy, I'm thinking, 'Hey, I'm just gonna get on eBay and buy as many of these $300 quadcopters as I can and expend all the Patriot missiles out there'."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39277940

Word is out!

Jobs going obsolete due to automaton is not a trend confined to the private sector.
Bill Clinton once ordered a million dollar missile strike that took out a mule. While I am pretty sure the mule valued its life at more than a million, I am pretty sure the bean counters wouldn't look at it that way.

I suspect we will see cheap attack drones coming out pretty soon.

On second thought there are now hand held EMF weapons out there to take out drones. How long before there are drone held EMF weapons that can take out say tanks, radar, aircraft etc....
Regardless, humans need not apply.

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:47 am

AI driven newtech has leveraged asymmetrical warfare beyond the crazy point. Look, we'll spend billions of $$$ on fear-inspiring legacy weaponry then we'll provide you a cheat sheet on eBay where you can mock all of this for ¢¢¢.....'>.......
Let's try this modelling exercise. Let's envision a world in a parallel universe somewhere let's say, where I'm right.........

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:16 am

How long will it take the machines to figure out No Humans No war.
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:17 am

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:47 am
AI driven newtech has leveraged asymmetrical warfare beyond the crazy point. Look, we'll spend billions of $$$ on fear-inspiring legacy weaponry then we'll provide you a cheat sheet on eBay where you can mock all of this for ¢¢¢.....'>.......
My guess is newtech will be its own undoing
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:15 am

Governments see an upcoming tsunami of unemployment and haven't a clue what to do about it.

One thing they have been able to do is to create gross exaggerations of military threats and hire people accordingly. Soon even the hiring part won't be an option,because it will be all drones, all the time.

Even if the economic arguments don't sway policymakers, the pressure to reduce casualties will.

War Nerd makes a great argument for robot peacekeeping troops here:

https://pando.com/2014/02/13/the-war-ne ... g-new-dog/

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Why would you want to reduce casualties? One of the upsides of total war is that it reduces the surplus population...>XDDDD.......
Let's try this modelling exercise. Let's envision a world in a parallel universe somewhere let's say, where I'm right.........

Doc

Post by Doc » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:31 am

Iraqi security forces use cheap drone to attack ISIS (Video at link)

http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/12/iraqi ... ike-video/

Milo

Post by Milo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:52 pm

Attack drone that can carry and fire different guns.

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:27 am

That's a good idea....... lower the insertion costs for military engagement. That surely should lead to peace and a just social order.......;).......

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:54 am

There will be peace in our time . . .