How did your poor and oppressed get to be so fat?

High Culture, Religion, Philosophy and Esoterica.
cassowary

How did your poor and oppressed get to be so fat?

Post by cassowary » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:00 am

WhatsApp Image 2017-12-24 at 11.12.13.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-12-24 at 11.12.13.jpeg (82.22 KiB) Viewed 648 times
Hahaha. The left looks ridiculous to people outside America.

lzzrdgrrl

Re: How did your poor and oppressed get to be so fat?

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:27 pm

Because to be nasty about it, cassie, and no doubt you already know. Poverty manifests itself for very different reasons in so-called developed counties as opposed to more traditional cultures.......

Where people are poor due to being on the bottom of the dominance hierarchy, truly they can say they are oppressed; but in America, people are poor because they are 'disadvantaged' - and 'disadvantage' when you strip away all nuance more or less means you don't play by my rules just the way that I propose them. You hold assumptions and expectations of me that makes me feel uncomfortable, inadequate and put upon......

Successful people in developed western societies tend to be functional adults. You can say industrial societies maximises results for functional adults. It does less so for psychological children, who have poor impulse control and are driven by emotion and seek immediate gratification. Functional adults understand delayed gratification - giving up immediate gain for future benefit, if that benefit gives superior value to immediate consumption. Functional adults are goal oriented and understand cause and effect. So functional adults understand how diet affects present and future health, chooses to maximise health or at least cares enough not to dismiss it, and eat accordingly. Psychological children, regardless of economic status, eat impulsively to satisfy emotional needs and sensual gratification. Psychological children also tend to desire the appreciation and indulgence of the Embracing Other - the one to make them feel safe, protected and the centre of the universe. An all encompassing mommy - less so a daddy. That's where the welfare state comes in........

tl;dr - "our" poor and oppressed tend to be fat because they're emotional babies....... wahhhh.....;).......
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:19 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:27 pm
Because to be nasty about it, cassie, and no doubt you already know. Poverty manifests itself for very different reasons in so-called developed counties as opposed to more traditional cultures.......

Where people are poor due to being on the bottom of the dominance hierarchy, truly they can say they are oppressed; but in America, people are poor because they are 'disadvantaged' - and 'disadvantage' when you strip away all nuance more or less means you don't play by my rules just the way that I propose them. You hold assumptions and expectations of me that makes me feel uncomfortable, inadequate and put upon......

Successful people in developed western societies tend to be functional adults. You can say industrial societies maximises results for functional adults. It does less so for psychological children, who have poor impulse control and are driven by emotion and seek immediate gratification. Functional adults understand delayed gratification - giving up immediate gain for future benefit, if that benefit gives superior value to immediate consumption. Functional adults are goal oriented and understand cause and effect. So functional adults understand how diet affects present and future health, chooses to maximise health or at least cares enough not to dismiss it, and eat accordingly. Psychological children, regardless of economic status, eat impulsively to satisfy emotional needs and sensual gratification. Psychological children also tend to desire the appreciation and indulgence of the Embracing Other - the one to make them feel safe, protected and the centre of the universe. An all encompassing mommy - less so a daddy. That's where the welfare state comes in........

tl;dr - "our" poor and oppressed tend to be fat because they're emotional babies....... wahhhh.....;).......
I agree that they are babies. The point I am making is that the "oppressed" in the US and other rich countries don't know what real oppression means. Try living the life of the dalits in India. These are the untouchables. They suffer from real oppression by their society.
Amit's village in the northern state of Haryana is just a three-hour bumpy drive away from the capital, and yet Dalits here are not allowed to enter temples or visit houses of the upper castes.

"Today, here in Haryana, we the Dalits are still being tied to trees and beaten by upper caste people. Police do nothing because none of the policemen are Dalit," Amit says.
But politicians (I called them votrepreneurs) in the US con minorities, LGBT, women that their group is oppressed to win their votes. Let them go to India and other 3rd world countries to see how lucky they really are.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:45 pm

Don't sit in judgement on the poor of the developed countries. You are not God seated on his heavenly throne.

Neither of you, I can see, have had to walk in their shoes. Pray that you never will have to.

Exempted by that photo of that Afro American lady, the body fat is a sure sign of obesity. The roots of obesity usually lie in the consumption of too much junk food.

Like substance abuse, a sign of epidemic depression, hopelessness.

If one person exhibits this kind of illness, you could credibly presume it is his responsibility. When you have it in epidemic proportions as in most Western societies today, then you have a social problem.

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:39 pm

I will sit in judgment because I know some things.......

I know my psychology because it put me where I am. I am an angry baby grown old and I fight my nature in order to avoid self-destruction. Any success I've had in life is in inverse proportion to the resentment, envy and oppositional defiance I allow to manifest. Took me some time to take advice, criticism and compelled self-reflection and not get coking angry about it.......

There is a social problem, it's called modernism. Humans are presented a life so novel and so off model in evolutionary terms that it's surprising that any of us at all can deal with it. It's not at all obvious that all of us can swim and not sink.... I'll take the hit, I suspect I'm less evolved for this situation than I'd like to be. In game analogy, the degree of difficulty has increased but not my power level. I think I share that sentiment with some of the people I ragged on for being fat.......

But you are right, I don't know all aspects of depression, hopelessness and despair. Making some choices avoids some consequenses and means a different path for everyone. But I don't see ennui and existential dislocation as social problems, I see them as themselves. We have freedom and opportunity to some degree in this country - freedom and opportunity to do what? What if the thing you want can't be found, what if all choices are unsatisfactory? The water hole is either poisoned or dried up. In the land of the free and the home of the brave, what if you don't like life? There are people like that, they tend to be unsuccessful and disorganised and they tend to be poor. The rest is what you name it: call your existential predicament oppression and use your inner narcissism to label it an abuse and a curse...... capitalism, the patriarchy, international banking conspiracy, 300 years of slavery, the Illuminati, giving women the vote, indigenous genocide, the pill, homophobia, Islamophobia, illegal immigration...... white people, black people, Jews. You have a legitimate grievance when others pose obstacles to your success and happiness, but you are not justified to claim you have no responsibility for your place........

I know a few things or one thing; fox or hedgehog.....'>.......

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:47 am

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:27 pm
They tend to be obese partly because calorie-dense foods are less expensive in the U.S. (e.g., the McDouble being on the Dollar Menu), and partly because of a negative feedback loop between culture and the availability of healthy food in low-income neighbourhoods.

I basically agree with neverfail that this problem is not solved by blaming the poor for their lack of sophistication.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:27 am

Actually, if you're poor in a developed nation you have a considerable degree of sophistication. You are hyper aware of yourself in relation to others, maybe painfully so. I left out appreciation of self hate and rage turned inwards......

Perhaps a young girl received an unsolicited beauty tip from her mother or an aunt - "you can't shine shit". Then she grows up in self hatred and despair and puts being pretty and liking herself in a box and buries it in a viking funeral. But those four apple turnovers and a tall latte still tastes good and comforting.......

You can fill a damn food desert with apples and carrot sticks and will anyone eat them? Kids, even rich kids often don't and intact they go into the bin. I take them out and I eat them. I'm not proud, I'm a scavenger. These problems are endemic throughout rich societies. They occur in all social strata and demographics, no news here, but to be very poor requires additional dysfunctions which have to be addressed along with social improvements. You can't be helped if you won't help the person helping you....... help you........

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:44 am

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:39 pm
I will sit in judgment because I know some things.......

I know my psychology because it put me where I am. I am an angry baby grown old and I fight my nature in order to avoid self-destruction. Any success I've had in life is in inverse proportion to the resentment, envy and oppositional defiance I allow to manifest. Took me some time to take advice, criticism and compelled self-reflection and not get coking angry about it.......

There is a social problem, it's called modernism. Humans are presented a life so novel and so off model in evolutionary terms that it's surprising that any of us at all can deal with it. It's not at all obvious that all of us can swim and not sink.... I'll take the hit, I suspect I'm less evolved for this situation than I'd like to be. In game analogy, the degree of difficulty has increased but not my power level. I think I share that sentiment with some of the people I ragged on for being fat.......

But you are right, I don't know all aspects of depression, hopelessness and despair. Making some choices avoids some consequenses and means a different path for everyone. But I don't see ennui and existential dislocation as social problems, I see them as themselves. We have freedom and opportunity to some degree in this country - freedom and opportunity to do what? What if the thing you want can't be found, what if all choices are unsatisfactory? The water hole is either poisoned or dried up. In the land of the free and the home of the brave, what if you don't like life? There are people like that, they tend to be unsuccessful and disorganised and they tend to be poor. The rest is what you name it: call your existential predicament oppression and use your inner narcissism to label it an abuse and a curse...... capitalism, the patriarchy, international banking conspiracy, 300 years of slavery, the Illuminati, giving women the vote, indigenous genocide, the pill, homophobia, Islamophobia, illegal immigration...... white people, black people, Jews. You have a legitimate grievance when others pose obstacles to your success and happiness, but you are not justified to claim you have no responsibility for your place........

I know a few things or one thing; fox or hedgehog.....'>.......
:oops: Wow lzzrdgrrl: what did I write that triggered such a binge of soul-baring?

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:52 pm

Well, uh...... I was thinking about this for quite a while and in other context, so I put it out there to see what it looks like. Consider it therapy. My apologies if it went too far over the top.....>>.........

Oh, let's be honest. I was triggered by the notion that the sacred brahmin people of the American underclass were beyond questioning and get to define the narrative for everybody else........

Note: added for extra lulz.....'>.........

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:59 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:39 pm

Exceptional insight. Your life, I read between the lines, has not been a pot of honey, has it lzzrdgrrl?