Francis: better to be an atheist than a hypocritical Catholic

High Culture, Religion, Philosophy and Esoterica.

lzzrdgrrl

Re: Francis: better to be an atheist than a hypocritical Catholic

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:52 pm

Praying that God make “Pope Francis” a good pope is like praying to God that He make “Caitlyn Jenner” the prettiest woman in the world.
http://www.barnhardt.biz/2017/02/19/why ... e-francis/
Let's try this modelling exercise. Let's envision a world in a parallel universe somewhere let's say, where I'm right.........

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:47 am

Quote from your provided link:

Less than two months after his election, he said Christians should see atheists as good people if they do good.

I agree!

(He might have added: and abstain from still seeing other Christian (purported) believers as better people than atheists when they do evil.)

So what is your problem with that Cp? :?

Booklady

Post by Booklady » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:36 am

FAKE NEWS

No, Pope Francis Did NOT Say It’s Better to Be an Atheist Than a Bad Catholic

Don’t believe the headlines!

Have you heard the news that Pope Francis preached it was better to be an atheist than a hypocritical Catholic? It’s in the headlines from Reuters, CNN, The Guardian, and many others.

There’s only one problem: that is not what he said. They’re all wrong.

From Vatican Radio itself, here is what Pope Francis actually said, in context:

“But what is scandal? Scandal is saying one thing and doing another; it is a double life, a double life. A totally double life: ‘I am very Catholic, I always go to Mass, I belong to this association and that one; but my life is not Christian, I don’t pay my workers a just wage, I exploit people, I am dirty in my business, I launder money…’ A double life. And so many Christians are like this, and these people scandalize others.

“How many times have we heard – all of us, around the neighborhood and elsewhere – ‘but to be a Catholic like that, it’s better to be an atheist.’ It is that, scandal. You destroy. You beat down. And this happens every day, it’s enough to see the news on TV, or to read the papers. In the papers there are so many scandals, and there is also the great publicity of the scandals. And with the scandals there is destruction.”

You see that he is not saying that it’s better to be an atheist than a hypocritical Catholic. Rather, he is saying that this is something other people say when confronted with hypocritical Catholics.

In Catholic theology, “scandal” is any sin that hurts another person spiritually. The pontiff is saying that when Catholics are hypocrites, it causes scandal, and makes people think they shouldn’t be Catholic (which is bad for them spiritually).

This is of course true and is a completely uncontroversial thing to point out.

Now that you know what the Holy Father really said: Don’t be a hypocrite! Live your faith!
A saucer of cream will do for me, thank you for your kindness.

Booklady

Post by Booklady » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:42 am

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:52 pm
Praying that God make “Pope Francis” a good pope is like praying to God that He make “Caitlyn Jenner” the prettiest woman in the world.
http://www.barnhardt.biz/2017/02/19/why ... e-francis/
Again, His Holiness, Pope Francis is the Pope. He was validly elected by the College of Cardinals when Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI, resigned. Pope Emeritus Benedict was not coerced, he freely chose to resign and retire. Popes can do that. He is no longer Peter's successor, upon resigning he passed the keys of the Church. Pope Francis is now Peter's successor, and remains until he dies, or resigns.

Yes, Izz, there is a Pope, and it is Pope Francis. The site you provided is a Sede Vacantist site, i.e. crackpots, and not a Catholic site. That site is promoting apostasy.

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:09 am

Thank you. I needed your opinion on this......

I'm noticing some Monarchists and a few Sede Vacantists are moving towards a more evolutionary argument/approach to their positions. (this doesn't describe Ann Barnhart, obviously....'>.....) That is, humans evolved their tribal, racial and cultural affiliations and modernism disrupts this stability leaving nothing to replace it. We'll see how that goes......'>........

It does seem the Media is using their bully pulpit to demolish reputations with little regard to the consequenses. Reuters, really...... but also the Wall Street Journal apparently:

Apparently what was done to PewDiePie is also being done to Pope Francis........
Let's try this modelling exercise. Let's envision a world in a parallel universe somewhere let's say, where I'm right.........

Booklady

Post by Booklady » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:57 am

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:09 am
Thank you. I needed your opinion on this......

I'm noticing some Monarchists and a few Sede Vacantists are moving towards a more evolutionary argument/approach to their positions. (this doesn't describe Ann Barnhart, obviously....'>.....) That is, humans evolved their tribal, racial and cultural affiliations and modernism disrupts this stability leaving nothing to replace it. We'll see how that goes......'>........

It does seem the Media is using their bully pulpit to demolish reputations with little regard to the consequenses. Reuters, really...... but also the Wall Street Journal apparently:

Apparently what was done to PewDiePie is also being done to Pope Francis........
Exactly, the video presents the dilemma precisely. The MSM is dying and they can't compete with other media, however, they have expensive tastes, and want that advertising revenue. Why pick on Pope Francis? Follow the money. Why present so many hit pieces, which are erroneous? Because they can sell the stories, and the ads. It's easy to twist anyone's words around and misrepresent them, few people bother to correct them, Pope Francis is ultra famous so stories about him will attract attention, this attracts viewers and advertising revenue follows.

The MSM are looking for easy money; they no longer care about representing the facts, they only write stories which represents an increase in their revenues.

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:14 pm

We are savages of a pathetic sort. I don't have words, but i'll leave this because people still attached to what life is know what's important:

Cyclamen persicum

Post by Cyclamen persicum » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:28 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:47 am

Less than two months after his election, he said Christians should see atheists as good people if they do good.

I agree!

(He might have added: and abstain from still seeing other Christian (purported) believers as better people than atheists when they do evil.)

Thanks for the question, "neverfail"

Reason I was laughing, is : Francis now saying what (Iranian) RUMI is all about .. the heart of all what RUMI has written is that key is being a "good human being" no matter you Jewish, Christian or Muslim or ATHEIST.

Name of the game is "Spirituality", morality, ethics, Humanität.

Francis leading things to the "essence" of real Christianity, adapting REAL Christianity .. overdue

What happened with Christianity is, when the reformation, enlightenment happened, instead of putting away the CORRUPT "Christian institutions", RCC of that time, the Christianity itself was weakened .. result was nasty colonialism, Racism, Hitler, 100s of million killed in wars and 2 nuclear bombs dropped on civilians, things still continuing .. Western world morally drifting without "Holly Shepherd" showing right and wrong, in meantime sinking in decadence and darkness.

Now, seems to me, Francis building up the "holly shepherd", Francis leading Christianity into the real enlightenment.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:57 am

Cyclamen persicum wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:28 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:47 am

I agree!

Thanks for the question, "neverfail"

Reason I was laughing, is : Francis now saying what (Iranian) RUMI is all about .. the heart of all what RUMI has written is that key is being a "good human being" no matter you Jewish, Christian or Muslim or ATHEIST.

Name of the game is "Spirituality", morality, ethics, Humanität.

Francis leading things to the "essence" of real Christianity, adapting REAL Christianity .. overdue

What happened with Christianity is, when the reformation, enlightenment happened, instead of putting away the CORRUPT "Christian institutions", RCC of that time, the Christianity itself was weakened .. result was nasty colonialism, Racism, Hitler, 100s of million killed in wars and 2 nuclear bombs dropped on civilians, things still continuing .. Western world morally drifting without "Holly Shepherd" showing right and wrong, in meantime sinking in decadence and darkness.

Now, seems to me, Francis building up the "holly shepherd", Francis leading Christianity into the real enlightenment.

Warm thanks for that clarification Cp. You impress me!

I was schooled in the verities of Catholic Christianity back in the days when they still taught us that Protestantism was heretical and therefore something for good Catholics to eternally beware of. I lived in a society where majority religious allegiance comprised various categories of Protestantism derived mainly from the British Isles. My own dad was not a Catholic though my mother was.

Of course the Catholic Church was always depicted by our mentors as being fundamentally "good" while all outside of it, that big, wide world beyond its bounds, was the domain where the devil operated to lead good Catholics away from the one true Catholic faith and into the fires of hell.

Can you imagine my confusion therefore when out of school in my late teens and early twenties I found that Protestant and even atheists with whom I associated were often friendlier than several of the nasty Catholic mentors I had been subject to in my school days. I found in practice that the Protestants and even up to a point the atheists in my like frequently behaved in a more "Christian" way than quite a number of the Catholics. Certainly, these latter usually treated me with more respect which was refreshing to my spirit when I recall the constant attack my immature, emerging soul seemed to be constantly under by those who represented themselves as paragons of Catholic virtue.

You might understand why as an adult I left the Church in disillusionment and disgust. Had it not been for the present pontiff I might never have returned.

Yes, I had endured a "gutfill" of hypocrisy at the hands of these superficial, skin-deep Catholic egoists.
............................................................................................

That the decades of abuse of children by paedophile priests and low clerical teachers and carers took place in many different countries appals me but does not surprise me. I am not surprised it happened because the Church authorities lacked the imagination to realise that the devil can work his dirty deeds just as readily WITHIN the structure of The Church as outside it. You see, sinfulness was supposed to be something that happened only "out there" while within the sanctuary of the Church, a fortress and a rock that was God's exclusive domain, such awrul things were never supposed to happen.

Cheers!