Does Shiraz wine come from Iran ?

High Culture, Religion, Philosophy and Esoterica.
Cyclamen persicum

Re: Does Shiraz wine come from Iran ?

Post by Cyclamen persicum » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:20 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:50 pm

Thanks CP. That makes a lot of sense.

By the way, are you Persian yourself ?

Yes, now Canadian

Living since 1980 in Vancouver, Canada

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:06 pm

Cyclamen persicum wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:20 am
neverfail wrote:

Yes, now Canadian

Great choice, Cp.

Vancouver has for years been in competition with our Melbourne for the status of being 'the world's most liveable city. The one that globally gives its inhabitants the best overall quality of life. Sometimes Vancouver is judged number one and Melbourne a close number two: in other years they swap places.

I and family just returned a week ago from a break of several days in Melbourne and we are planning to visit Vancouver later this year where a friend who lives on Vancouver Island has invited us to stay as her guests. From there we hope to set out and see a lot of British Columbia with possibly a side trip down into the US Pacific northwest thrown in. You know how it is with Canada? It's population stretches in a ribbon along their frontier with the US so that often the region of the US to the south is more of a magnet than the Canadian province/s closest to them. I am sure (for instance) that more Vancouver residents have visited Seattle at some time in their lives than have visited Calgary.

So when visiting Canada you might as well follow the example of the locals and see a bit of the US as well. Two for the price of one. :D

I might even get to meet you?

Oh, and P.S:
I was recently surprised to discover that they actually have vineyards and wineries in BC. I had previously assumed that the wine grape could not grow anywhere in Canada because of its high latitude geographic location - but apparently not so!

Cyclamen persicum

Post by Cyclamen persicum » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:21 pm

neverfail wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:06 pm
Cyclamen persicum wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:20 am
neverfail wrote:

Yes, now Canadian

Great choice, Cp.

Vancouver has for years been in competition with our Melbourne for the status of being 'the world's most liveable city. The one that globally gives its inhabitants the best overall quality of life. Sometimes Vancouver is judged number one and Melbourne a close number two: in other years they swap places.

I and family just returned a week ago from a break of several days in Melbourne and we are planning to visit Vancouver later this year where a friend who lives on Vancouver Island has invited us to stay as her guests. From there we hope to set out and see a lot of British Columbia with possibly a side trip down into the US Pacific northwest thrown in. You know how it is with Canada? It's population stretches in a ribbon along their frontier with the US so that often the region of the US to the south is more of a magnet than the Canadian province/s closest to them. I am sure (for instance) that more Vancouver residents have visited Seattle at some time in their lives than have visited Calgary.

So when visiting Canada you might as well follow the example of the locals and see a bit of the US as well. Two for the price of one. :D

I might even get to meet you ?

Oh, and P.S:

I was recently surprised to discover that they actually have vineyards and wineries in BC. I had previously assumed that the wine grape could not grow anywhere in Canada because of its high latitude geographic location - but apparently not so!

2001 , I took a cruise from Bangkok to Sydney .. 21 days .. Perth , Melbourne (bought those crocodile'Dandy hats), Tasmania , Sydney .. have different cousins in Sydney

Loved Perth and Sydney .. would have immigrated there if it was Canada, but, a bit too far.

Vancouver, Pacific coast along, is backed by Canadian Sierra mountains, sailing and ski paradise .. winter time, when summer in Australia, all ski bums (and buns) are Australians (beautiful and crazy girls - excellent skiers) , they run Whistler, my sons were skiing mid January and said it felt you in Australia (Australians can work for 2 yrs without permit, common wealth rule).

And .. behind the Canadian Sierra, flat hot dry land , OKANAGEN, wine country .. you can make now good wine pretty much everywhere, it is chemistry .. We drank a lot Australian and New Zealand Wine when they were cheaper, but now prefer Italian and French, California too became a bit pricy (good ones) .. friend was saying all New Zealand vineyards bought by French, all of them.

I live in West Vancouver next to water

Caught just a 7 pound Coho in front where I live :lol:

We fish mostly with live herring

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:35 am

Cyclamen persicum wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:21 pm

2001 , I took a cruise from Bangkok to Sydney .. 21 days .. Perth , Melbourne (bought those crocodile'Dandy hats), Tasmania , Sydney .. have different cousins in Sydney

Loved Perth and Sydney .. would have immigrated there if it was Canada, but, a bit too far.
Thanks Cp. Glad you enjoyed your all too brief time here. Australia has only half a dozen cities large enough to be described as metropolitan centres located widely separated around our coastal rim. Yet these 5 or 6 are home to about 80% of our population - with Sydney and Melbourne between them accounting for about 45%. Forget about the misleading Crocodile Dundee image promoted in cinema by actor Paul Hogan. We are one of the World's most urbanised peoples.

Among our seaboard cities Sydney and Perth are possibly the jewels: although never say that in Melbourne or Adelaide. Regional pride and parochialism!
Cyclamen persicum wrote:
Vancouver, Pacific coast along, is backed by Canadian Sierra mountains, sailing and ski paradise .. winter time, when summer in Australia, all ski bums (and buns) are Australians (beautiful and crazy girls - excellent skiers) , they run Whistler, my sons were skiing mid January and said it felt you in Australia (Australians can work for 2 yrs without permit, common wealth rule).
I have heard that some Aussies go over there for wintertime snow sports but until now I had no idea it was on such a scale. Thanks for information Cp.

If Canada has an (in-house Commonwealth) agreement with Australia to allow our people up to 2 years to work there without needing a work permit, you can count upon Australia having a reciprocal agreement to allow Canadian nationals the same privilege here. Yet if adventurous young Canadians are taking that up in numbers then they must be making themselves invisible while out here.
Cyclamen persicum wrote:
And .. behind the Canadian Sierra, flat hot dry land , OKANAGEN, wine country .. you can make now good wine pretty much everywhere, it is chemistry .. We drank a lot Australian and New Zealand Wine when they were cheaper, but now prefer Italian and French, California too became a bit pricy (good ones) .. friend was saying all New Zealand vineyards bought by French, all of them.
Have Australian and NZ wines priced themselves out of the market over there or is the EU subsidising their wine exports?

California produces some great vintages but their costs seem to be perennially high. I did not find them any bargain even when I was in California nearly 4 decades ago.

Have heard nothing here about French investors taking over the NZ wineries. Which does not necessarily mean that it has not happened.
Cyclamen persicum wrote:
I live in West Vancouver next to water

Caught just a 7 pound Coho in front where I live :lol:

We fish mostly with live herring
British Colombia and adjacent Alaska must be the World's salmon capital. Do Coho make good eating?

Cyclamen persicum

Post by Cyclamen persicum » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:57 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:35 am

Do Coho make good eating ?

There are 3 Pacific Salmons (Atlantic Salmon different Spicy)

Sockeye salmon .. good for barbecue as meat is firm

Chinook salmon .. also called "Spring Salmon" .. more flaky, more delicate .. better prepare in frying pan

Coho salmon .. good for all kind of cooking

Best size is 6-8 pound, bigger ones too fatty

Fresh just caught Salmon taste much better than one would buy from store as those from store are @ least 1 week old .. fresh caught salmon you can just eat rah.

This just near where I live, Capilano river, West Vancouver

My understanding is, "Commonwealth of Nations" can work for 2 yrs each country, I know Canadian can in UK and Australians here in Canada.

neverfail

Re: Vancouver and region.

Post by neverfail » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:02 pm

Thanks Cp.

I spent a few days in Vancouver in the northern summer of 1978 as part of a self-conducted pleasure trip around North America (incl.Mexico). I do not recall seeing any Capilano River whilst there; but I vividly remember the day trip I took out to Mount Capalano. Given the shared name I would assume that the river has a close association with the mountain?

The city and a little of the mountain district to the rear is all I have so far seen of Canada. I left feeling unsatisfied with a sense of "I want more of this!". Hence our hoped for return visit later this year to me is like a belated making up for lost time.

(Perhaps while I am there you might show me how to catch a Coho salmon? But that is up to you CP. As we have only just met on the web I would not hold it against you to be cautious in dealing with a stranger.)
............................................................................................................................

I think you are right about that Commonwealth of Nations agreement - at least as far as the affluent lands of the "white" Commonwealth goes. Out here I have had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of a nice young adult pommie (our standard nickname for an Englishman) who came out here on that basis and has meantime madly fallen in love with our climate, our way of life along with a Filipino immigrant lady who has Australian permanent residence. I met him at a Christmas party put on by my Filipino in-laws. The pom is coming to the end of his 2 year spell and hopes to attain permanent residency status soon.

Apollonius

Re: Vancouver

Post by Apollonius » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:03 am

I've been living in Canada longer than CP.

The average detached home cost about $50,000 in the early 1970s.

Today the average detached home costs about $2 million.

Rents have increased commensurately.

Even twenty years ago Vancouver's homeless population was close to zero.

Today there are at least 2500.

Thirty years ago there were quite a few good bookstores in Vancouver.

Now there are none.

Retail in other areas has also collapsed.

Vancouver has stores that sell clothing and shoes made in Bangladesh, and stores that sell cell phones made in China.

There are a lot of restaurants (which only those in the top ten percent of earners or too young to know how to spend money wisely can afford to eat at).

You can buy an avocado now, but after paying the rent or the mortgage, can you afford one?

Most of the parks are getting a little shabby. The city is more crowded and dirtier. It's noisy. There are longer wait times at medical facilities, with a disproportionate drag on their services from recent immigrants and the mentally ill.

They used to hold a salmon derby in the waters just north of the city. For years it's been too polluted to fish there. The great majority of salmon caught in Vancouver's harbour have cancerous lesions.

Transit is better than twenty years ago, but you'll need it because traffic is much worse and you won't want to drive, especially as you'll be living a lot further from work because it's too expensive to live anywhere nearby.

Vancouver, always the unfriendliest city in North America, is colder and ruder than ever now as conditions for the average resident continue to deteriorate.

Cyclamen persicum

Re: Vancouver

Post by Cyclamen persicum » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:58 am

Apollonius wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:03 am
I've been living in Canada longer than CP.

The average detached home cost about $50,000 in the early 1970s.

Today the average detached home costs about $2 million.

Rents have increased commensurately.

Even twenty years ago Vancouver's homeless population was close to zero.

Today there are at least 2500.

Thirty years ago there were quite a few good bookstores in Vancouver.

Now there are none.

Retail in other areas has also collapsed.

Vancouver has stores that sell clothing and shoes made in Bangladesh, and stores that sell cell phones made in China.

There are a lot of restaurants (which only those in the top ten percent of earners or too young to know how to spend money wisely can afford to eat at).

You can buy an avocado now, but after paying the rent or the mortgage, can you afford one?

Most of the parks are getting a little shabby. The city is more crowded and dirtier. It's noisy. There are longer wait times at medical facilities, with a disproportionate drag on their services from recent immigrants and the mentally ill.

They used to hold a salmon derby in the waters just north of the city. For years it's been too polluted to fish there. The great majority of salmon caught in Vancouver's harbour have cancerous lesions.

Transit is better than twenty years ago, but you'll need it because traffic is much worse and you won't want to drive, especially as you'll be living a lot further from work because it's too expensive to live anywhere nearby.

Vancouver, always the unfriendliest city in North America, is colder and ruder than ever now as conditions for the average resident continue to deteriorate.

Salmon, hatches in freshwater rivers, swim into salt water pacific, swim (and eat) crossing Pacific to "Kamchatka Peninsula" (Russia), swim back, growing and growing, to the same fresh water river they hatched, spawn (lay egg) and die .. that Capilano River you above is when the Salmon coming back to lay egg .. Salmon we catch, have spent maybe 10% of their life in BC/Alaska waters, the rest in Pacific ocean in transit to Russia and back to the river they hatched

Any Salmon caught in British Colombian (or Alaskan) waters (there is no Salmon in Vancouver Harbour - but, I saw whales in VH) just arrives from that long journey from Russia .. Not aware of any Salmon having cancerous lesions .. first time hearing that

In fact "wild Salmon" is double the price of "Farmed Salmon" ... we fish and eat Wild Salmon .. a lot of smokers, they smoke your catch the way you want.

All the rest, except affordability, what Apollonius says (to put it politely) rubbish

True, Vancouver now competing in all aspects and respect with world cities, was chosen # 1 city to live last few yrs .. with that comes being pricy.

But, British Colombia is very big and SunShine coast towards the North is even more beautiful than Vancouver itself, thousands of inlets and Islands and lakes and affordable, wonderful people, absolute security .. Vancouver island paradise and affordable, 1000 miles from one end to the other, paradise beaches ..

But

Appreciate Apollonius saying all those things above .. because that lead us to heart of the matter what now
TRUMP is representing

Milo basically says (some Canadians have said this to me), we were happy with cutting the trees and selling timber and lugg to US, we don't want world city .. those people unhappy now, MILO unhappy

Well, Apollonius, no such thing as "Standing Still" .. either you "going forward" or you "going backward".

Those people, Harper & company, believing universe was created in 7 days, Canadians, wisely said NO to them, they too tried same rubbish as Trump dishing (Muslim demon), but , with an apology to our dear American posters, Canadian Joe was way smarter and gave a landslide victory to Trudeau and Harper into retired life.

Apollonius guys should get up from their lazy ass and participate building a better Canada.

EOM

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:28 pm

Appolonius @ Cp.

Thanks so much for your respective sets of insights.

Appolonius: It seems to me that Vancouver may be suffering from the growing pains of a thriving metropolis rather than the ailments of a declining (rust belt type) one. For exactly the same set of conditions you describe above are evident here in Sydney as well. Some symptoms seem more advanced in Vancouver than in Sydney; some more muted. But they are all so familiar to me.

I would not be surprised if Vancouver were currently (and for years) has enjoyed an annual growth rate higher that other Canadian population centres and well above the Canadian average. Why? Because like Sydney (and San Francisco, Tokyo, Shanghai and Hong Kong) Vancouver is a Pacific rim city whose fortunes strike me as being as much tied to Asia-Pacific as to the North American continent to its rear.

If Vancouver residents are unaware of that then in my opinion they should become aware of their city's destiny ASAP. Vancouver in that regard seems out of step with the rest of Canada: whose very geography (ignoring the ever magnetic pull of the USA to the south) seemingly makes it much more oriented to the North Atlantic and western Europe than the Pacific rim and its many opportunities.

Cyclamen persicum

Post by Cyclamen persicum » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:56 pm

neverfail wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:28 pm

Appolonius @ Cp.

Thanks so much for your respective sets of insights.

Appolonius: It seems to me that Vancouver may be suffering from the growing pains of a thriving metropolis rather than the ailments of a declining (rust belt type) one. For exactly the same set of conditions you describe above are evident here in Sydney as well. Some symptoms seem more advanced in Vancouver than in Sydney; some more muted. But they are all so familiar to me.

I would not be surprised if Vancouver were currently (and for years) has enjoyed an annual growth rate higher that other Canadian population centres and well above the Canadian average. Why? Because like Sydney (and San Francisco, Tokyo, Shanghai and Hong Kong) Vancouver is a Pacific rim city whose fortunes strike me as being as much tied to Asia-Pacific as to the North American continent to its rear.

If Vancouver residents are unaware of that then in my opinion they should become aware of their city's destiny ASAP. Vancouver in that regard seems out of step with the rest of Canada: whose very geography (ignoring the ever magnetic pull of the USA to the south) seemingly makes it much more oriented to the North Atlantic and western Europe than the Pacific rim and its many opportunities.

Yes, you @ the money .. absolutely so

Vancouver, in many ways, Sydney fast forwarded AND somewhat.

1980, When Iranians arrived in Vancouver, Vancouver was a provincial city, a bedroom sleeping community .. the most exotic fruit @ that time was Banana :)

Iranian entrepreneurs, cream de la cream, shell shocked, running away from Mullahs, jumped head first, mainly, into real estate development and entrepreneurship .. "New" Vancouver was created by Iranian developers.

- 1984 Hong Kong reverts to Chinese, "rich" Hong Kong Chinese panicky run to Vancouver

- A few years later, China starts "One China Policy" .. "rich" Taiwan Chinese panicky run to Vancouver

The real "killer" comes when Shanghai suddenly has more U$-Billionaire than whole America .. the billionaire "main land Chinese" go crazy in Vancouver.