Does Shiraz wine come from Iran ?

High Culture, Religion, Philosophy and Esoterica.
neverfail

Re: Does Shiraz wine come from Iran ?

Post by neverfail » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:36 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:51 am
I lived in Bellingham, Wash. for a while when I was university age, and we'd go to Vancouver from time to time. This would have been in the mid-90s, and Gastown already had some of the best Chinese food in the world, and UBC's campus was gorgeous. Great city. I actually might be back there in May for the first time since those days, for a conference. If so it will be interesting to see how it's changed.
I have just looked up the location of Bellingham on the map. My lord; it is closer to Vancouver than to Seattle! So close it might almost be Vancouver's most southerly suburb. it also seems to be within pissing distance of Victoria, the provincial capital of BC located at the southern tip of Vancouver Island that juts south of the 49th parallel along which I believe the US-Canada border runs from the Pacific coast to the head of Lake Superior.

Another surprise is that the southern suburbs of Vancouver seem to run right up to the border with the US. Imagine, the inconvenience of a political frontier stopping the expansion of a dynamic metropolis?

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Be ... 22.4786854

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:50 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:36 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:51 am
I lived in Bellingham, Wash. for a while when I was university age, and we'd go to Vancouver from time to time. This would have been in the mid-90s, and Gastown already had some of the best Chinese food in the world, and UBC's campus was gorgeous. Great city. I actually might be back there in May for the first time since those days, for a conference. If so it will be interesting to see how it's changed.
I have just looked up the location of Bellingham on the map. My lord; it is closer to Vancouver than to Seattle! So close it might almost be Vancouver's most southerly suburb. it also seems to be within pissing distance of Victoria, the provincial capital of BC located at the southern tip of Vancouver Island that juts south of the 49th parallel along which I believe the US-Canada border runs from the Pacific coast to the head of Lake Superior.

Another surprise is that the southern suburbs of Vancouver seem to run right up to the border with the US. Imagine, the inconvenience of a political frontier stopping the expansion of a dynamic metropolis?

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Be ... 22.4786854
Yes, we listened to Vancouver radio stations. It took about an hour to get there, and more than 90 minutes to get to Seattle. Students would take cigarettes to sell to Canadians and bring back some type of awesome special paint that's not allowed in the U.S. to sell to their art major friends.

My conference proposal was accepted, BTW, so I'll definitely be going, and I'm looking forward to it! 8-)
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:51 pm

Good going, Steve.

Unfortunately, we shall not be in Vancouver until about July into August, so it is unlikely that our paths will cross.

(Unless our hosts in Canada take us for a day or two of sightseeing in Washington State. Play that one by ear.) :)