Trump wants Arab allies to replace US troops in Syria

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Re: Trump wants Arab allies to replace US troops in Syria

Post by neverfail » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:14 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:14 am

Bashar al-Assad is not Saddam Hussein. I don't think he is the bloodthirsty monster the western propaganda likes to picture. Once he wins the war he can afford - and Russia will push him in that direction - liberalizing somewhat the regime. He is closer to the type of ruler Abdullah II and Mohammed VI are than most people think.
Oh sure; and pigs might grow wings and fly!

From 2011, when it all started:

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/26/worl ... syria.html

"Syrian Troops Open Fire on Protesters in Several Cities. "

It should always be remembered that it was Assad who started this Syrian civil war by using lethal force against peaceful protest demonstrators.

You must either be ingenuous or a fool to purport to believe that this leopard is ever destined to change his spots.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:41 am

neverfail wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:14 am
Sertorio wrote:

Bashar al-Assad is not Saddam Hussein. I don't think he is the bloodthirsty monster the western propaganda likes to picture. Once he wins the war he can afford - and Russia will push him in that direction - liberalizing somewhat the regime. He is closer to the type of ruler Abdullah II and Mohammed VI are than most people think.
Oh sure; and pigs might grow wings and fly!

From 2011, when it all started:

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/26/worl ... syria.html

"Syrian Troops Open Fire on Protesters in Several Cities. "

It should always be remembered that it was Assad who started this Syrian civil war by using lethal force against peaceful protest demonstrators.

You must either be ingenuous or a fool to purport to believe that this leopard is ever destined to change his spots.
We will have to wait and see. But Bashar al-Assad will get the chance to show which one of us is right, because he will win the war.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:07 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:41 am
We will have to wait and see. But Bashar al-Assad will get the chance to show which one of us is right, because he will win the war.
On that much we can agree.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:10 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:07 am
Sertorio wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:41 am
On that much we can agree.
As it happens, it matters not which group of Islamic barbarians "wins." Those folks will continue to slaughter each other as opportunities arise. What matters:

1. It's rank stupidity for non-Muslim entities to put non-Muslims on ME battlefields in futile attempts to prevent Muslims from killing Muslims.

2. The only entities in the ME that non-Muslims should actively support are Kurdistan and Israel.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:17 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:10 am

1. It's rank stupidity for non-Muslim entities to put non-Muslims on ME battlefields in futile attempts to prevent Muslims from killing Muslims.

UMM... are you aware that there are long term political implications to who wins a war - even in the ME?

Some possible outcomes are better for our Western interest than others.

I hope that you are not guilty of the "rank stupidity" :) of being unaware of the fact?

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:39 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:17 am
Jim the Moron wrote:

UMM... are you aware that there are long term political implications to who wins a war - even in the ME?

I hope that you are not guilty of the "rank stupidity" :) of being unaware of the fact?
Gosh, until now I hadn't known "that there are long term political implications to who wins a war." Whoda thunk?

What's your favorite "outcome" there, neverfail? I'll tell you mine. It's to confine Islamic savagery to Islamic lands while allowing Kurds in Kurdistan and Jews in Israel to live in peace.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:18 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:17 am
Jim the Moron wrote:

Sure, I'd like to see peace and freedom in every society, but I'm not sure which outcomes are supposed to be more in "my Western interest". No matter who wins, they'll still sell oil, and anything else seems to relate to my life distantly at best.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:02 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:39 am

What's your favorite "outcome" there, neverfail?
I don't have one Jim. No matter from which angle I look at it I can foresee no good coming.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:04 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:18 pm

Sure, I'd like to see peace and freedom in every society, but I'm not sure which outcomes are supposed to be more in "my Western interest". No matter who wins, they'll still sell oil, and anything else seems to relate to my life distantly at best.
If you mean that then you are looking at the ME through a very narrowly focused set of horse blinkers indeed!

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:06 am

Sertorio wrote:

I agree that he shall win. But will his victory make either Assad a better person or Syria a better country?