Who is to blame for starting WWI?

Discussion of current events
cassowary

Who is to blame for starting WWI?

Post by cassowary » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:47 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26048324

This is a spin off from another thread. It is an interesting topic which I don't know much about. So I hope to learn something. Above link gave 10 answers.

Alexis

Re: Who is to blame for starting WWI?

Post by Alexis » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:54 am

cassowary wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:47 pm

This is a spin off from another thread. It is an interesting topic which I don't know much about. So I hope to learn something. Above link gave 10 answers.
I think you put one "I" too many in the title of this thread. :)

Problem fixed - Mod.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:19 am

Alexis wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:54 am
cassowary wrote:

Or given yesterday's headlines one too few. :D

And the answer to your question Cass is "Darwin" People of the time leading up to WWI generally believed that each nation state was a "race" unto itself. Therefore war was an extension of "Survival of the fittest" Seriously I have a book from that time around here somewhere about Nicola Tesla that's Preface says something like "Telsa is of the hardy Serb "Race" surrounded by Mohamedmen "races"
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” … George Orwell

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:58 am

Alexis wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Oops. Lizzy girl. Help. Can you edit for me?

Done. ;)

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:02 am

Doc wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:19 am
Alexis wrote:
cassowary wrote:

And the answer to your question Cass is "Darwin" People of the time leading up to WWI generally believed that each nation state was a "race" unto itself. Therefore war was an extension of "Survival of the fittest" Seriously I have a book from that time around here somewhere about Nicola Tesla that's Preface says something like "Telsa is of the hardy Serb "Race" surrounded by Mohamedmen "races"
Yes , I read about that theory I the book, "from Darwin to Hitler" , by Richard Wiekart. The theory goes like this. War is simply part of human nature, a part of evolutionary struggle where the fittest survive and the weak goes extinct. Thus genocide is simply part of what nature intended and Christian morality is out of date.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:49 pm

cassowary wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:02 am
Doc wrote:
Alexis wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Yes , I read about that theory I the book, "from Darwin to Hitler" , by Richard Wiekart. The theory goes like this. War is simply part of human nature, a part of evolutionary struggle where the fittest survive and the weak goes extinct. Thus genocide is simply part of what nature intended and Christian morality is out of date.
Hold on, you guys.

Social Darwinism? Charles Darwin did not invent the theory that superior life forms supplant inferior ones as a consequence of tooth and claw competition. His memory has been stigmatised with the label unchallenged for far too long. As a consequence of his observations in the Galapagos Islands and elsewhere in the southern hemisphere, Darwin's conclusion was that life forms gradually adapt according to prevailing circumstances. He noted (for example) how a species of small bird that had green feathers on the moister, jungle covered islands at one end of the Galapagos chain had "grown" yellow-brown feathers at the arid, desert end in order to blend in better with the landscape for camouflage.

The "survival of the fittest in the jungle" hypothesis originated from a scientific colleague of Darwin named Edgar Wallace; who spent years in south east Asia collecting rare and unusual insect specimens for preservation and sale to wealthy collectors in England and who kept up a regular correspondence with Darwin from abroad.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:08 am

neverfail wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:49 pm
cassowary wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:02 am
Doc wrote:
Alexis wrote:
cassowary wrote:

Hold on, you guys.

Social Darwinism? Charles Darwin did not invent the theory that superior life forms supplant inferior ones as a consequence of tooth and claw competition. His memory has been stigmatised with the label unchallenged for far too long. As a consequence of his observations in the Galapagos Islands and elsewhere in the southern hemisphere, Darwin's conclusion was that life forms gradually adapt according to prevailing circumstances. He noted (for example) how a species of small bird that had green feathers on the moister, jungle covered islands at one end of the Galapagos chain had "grown" yellow-brown feathers at the arid, desert end in order to blend in better with the landscape for camouflage.

The "survival of the fittest in the jungle" hypothesis originated from a scientific colleague of Darwin named Edgar Wallace; who spent years in south east Asia collecting rare and unusual insect specimens for preservation and sale to wealthy collectors in England and who kept up a regular correspondence with Darwin from abroad.
Hold on, here. Let's not allow a discussion of war and Social Darwinism get derailed by inaccurate "analysis." I had hoped that someone else had taken up the cudgels here, but here we are:
1. No one here said that Darwin coined the term "survival of the fittest." It is well known that Herbert Spencer (not Wallace) first used the term, after reading Darwin.
2. Alfred Russel (not "Edgar") Wallace was much more than a bug collector in SE Asia. Look him up. The "Wallace Line" remains as a biogeographic concept. I carried around my copy of his "The Malay Archipelago" on my only visit to Sulawesi.

It's post WWI that the creepy racial aspects of who is "fit" and who is not came into play in Germany.

Milo

Post by Milo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:10 am

So, is this WWII or a possible WWIII we are on about?

WWI

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:42 pm

Milo wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:10 am
So, is this WWII or a possible WWIII we are on about?
Cassowary meant WW1 (not Two) when he launched this discussion.

(Just as in another one he initiated he spelled idiot as UDIOT) :lol: :lol: :lol:

You are slipping Cass. That is what you get for being too eager. :)

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:49 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:08 am

Hold on, here. Let's not allow a discussion of war and Social Darwinism get derailed by inaccurate "analysis." I had hoped that someone else had taken up the cudgels here, but here we are:
1. No one here said that Darwin coined the term "survival of the fittest." It is well known that Herbert Spencer (not Wallace) first used the term, after reading Darwin.
2. Alfred Russel (not "Edgar") Wallace was much more than a bug collector in SE Asia. Look him up. The "Wallace Line" remains as a biogeographic concept. I carried around my copy of his "The Malay Archipelago" on my only visit to Sulawesi.

It's post WWI that the creepy racial aspects of who is "fit" and who is not came into play in Germany.
Thanks for that correction Jim. This is not the first time on this website that, whilst I might have been right in overall direction and thrust, I was inaccurate in the details.