Trudeau's India trip is a total disaster...

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Trudeau's India trip is a total disaster...

Post by neverfail » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:18 pm

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/world/t ... 4z1ka.html

Trudeau's antics illustrate the perils of "trying to serve two masters". Whilst purporting to advance Canada's foreign policy (and trade) goals overseas he was (over the shoulder) doing some electioneering back home in Canada by trying to impress supporters of (Asian) Indian heritage on his home turf.

The two goals proved incompatible. The ploy failed so Trudeau fell flat on his face.

(India is no place to fall flat on your face. The cow is venerated as a holy animal over there and I believe they leave their pats all over the place. :lol: )

The lesson to be learned from this is that politicians should not try to be too clever by half. When travelling abroad to promote foreign relations they should concentrate on that and forget about domestic politics until after they arrive home again.

Milo

Re: Trudeau's India trip is a total disaster...

Post by Milo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:05 pm

neverfail wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:18 pm
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/world/t ... 4z1ka.html

Trudeau's antics illustrate the perils of "trying to serve two masters". Whilst purporting to advance Canada's foreign policy (and trade) goals overseas he was (over the shoulder) doing some electioneering back home in Canada by trying to impress supporters of (Asian) Indian heritage on his home turf.

The two goals proved incompatible. The ploy failed so Trudeau fell flat on his face.

(India is no place to fall flat on your face. The cow is venerated as a holy animal over there and I believe they leave their pats all over the place. :lol: )

The lesson to be learned from this is that politicians should not try to be too clever by half. When travelling abroad to promote foreign relations they should concentrate on that and forget about domestic politics until after they arrive home again.
Yes, some Sikh communities are very solid vote blocks here. Add to that the usual leftist knee jerk support for anyone who wants to break up a functioning country and you have a collision course with the majority of Indians.

Still he got some of those letters of intent to have intent. I didn't expect much of this trip and it met my expectations.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:30 pm

Thanks Milo!

Luckily, in the global context Canada and India are not all that important to one another. Both have bigger fish to fry closer to home. Just imagine if Justin Trudeau were to make a similar hash out of an official visit to a country of much greater importance to Canada such as the USA.

Well, he wouldn't, would he?

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:37 pm

It has got to this level judging from available images:

I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:46 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:30 pm
Thanks Milo!

Luckily, in the global context Canada and India are not all that important to one another. Both have bigger fish to fry closer to home. Just imagine if Justin Trudeau were to make a similar hash out of an official visit to a country of much greater importance to Canada such as the USA.

Well, he wouldn't, would he?
He probably would, he's really not very good at this whole PM thing.

On the other hand, when it comes to screwing things up, Trump probably would be too busy crashing into everything to give him the chance.

The good news is that the North American relationship is far too strong not to survive a few years of top-level blundering.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Milo

Post by Milo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:49 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:37 pm
It has got to this level judging from available images:

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:26 am

Milo wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:49 pm

Milo: please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I am getting the hindsight impression that this recent trip to India by your esteemed PM was less a serious diplomatic venture to improve ties between India and Canada as much as a publically funded PR junket to cut images for consumption at home.