Russia meddled in U.S. election: George W. Bush

Discussion of current events
Post Reply
neverfail
Posts: 1761
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Russia meddled in U.S. election: George W. Bush

Post by neverfail » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:39 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pol ... ff0b9f79c2

Yeah, and do you know what? The Pope is a Catholic and the Grand Mufti a Muslim? What else is new?

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 1078
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Russia meddled in U.S. election: George W. Bush

Post by Milo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:40 pm

neverfail wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:39 pm
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pol ... ff0b9f79c2

Yeah, and do you know what? The Pope is a Catholic and the Grand Mufti a Muslim? What else is new?
Wait for it...

neverfail
Posts: 1761
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: Russia meddled in U.S. election: George W. Bush

Post by neverfail » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:17 am

When George Bush Jr., a former two term US president of the Republican Party brand, comes out of retirement long enough to publically contradict the position of an incumbent president of the same party livery, well, his words would seem to carry additional credibility, don't you think?

User avatar
SteveFoerster
Posts: 1231
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, USA and Dominica, West Indies
Contact:

Re: Russia meddled in U.S. election: George W. Bush

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:04 pm

neverfail wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:17 am
When George Bush Jr., a former two term US president of the Republican Party brand, comes out of retirement long enough to publically contradict the position of an incumbent president of the same party livery, well, his words would seem to carry additional credibility, don't you think?
Trump and the Bush family are staunch enemies, not allies. Don't forget that Trump humiliated Dubya's brother Jeb all primary season long. For this reason, I'd say it carries no additional credibility at all.

(Doesn't mean he's wrong, though.)
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 1078
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Russia meddled in U.S. election: George W. Bush

Post by Milo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:35 pm

Of course there is the fact that all of the US intelligence agencies agree that the Russians interfered in the 2016 election.

User avatar
SteveFoerster
Posts: 1231
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, USA and Dominica, West Indies
Contact:

Re: Russia meddled in U.S. election: George W. Bush

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:19 pm

Milo wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:35 pm
Of course there is the fact that all of the US intelligence agencies agree that the Russians interfered in the 2016 election.
The same ones that insisted there were WMDs in Iraq?
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail
Posts: 1761
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: Russia meddled in U.S. election: George W. Bush

Post by neverfail » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:23 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:19 pm
Milo wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:35 pm
Of course there is the fact that all of the US intelligence agencies agree that the Russians interfered in the 2016 election.
The same ones that insisted there were WMDs in Iraq?
All the more reason to believe them now. They would not want to suffer the embarrassment of getting it wrong twice.

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 1078
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Russia meddled in U.S. election: George W. Bush

Post by Milo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:32 am

neverfail wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:23 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:19 pm
Milo wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:35 pm
Of course there is the fact that all of the US intelligence agencies agree that the Russians interfered in the 2016 election.
The same ones that insisted there were WMDs in Iraq?
All the more reason to believe them now. They would not want to suffer the embarrassment of getting it wrong twice.
And there's also the mountain of evidence found by Facebook, Twitter and others in the private sector, several European intelligence agencies, with concurrence by a number of other US lawmakers, Republican and Democrat.

I also have to wonder what benefit there is in bristling at the idea that Russia tried to interfere in the 2016 US election. Surely it's better to err on the side of defending democracy?

User avatar
SteveFoerster
Posts: 1231
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, USA and Dominica, West Indies
Contact:

Re: Russia meddled in U.S. election: George W. Bush

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:57 pm

Milo wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:32 am
neverfail wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:23 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:19 pm
Milo wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:35 pm
Of course there is the fact that all of the US intelligence agencies agree that the Russians interfered in the 2016 election.
The same ones that insisted there were WMDs in Iraq?
All the more reason to believe them now. They would not want to suffer the embarrassment of getting it wrong twice.
And there's also the mountain of evidence found by Facebook, Twitter and others in the private sector, several European intelligence agencies, with concurrence by a number of other US lawmakers, Republican and Democrat.

I also have to wonder what benefit there is in bristling at the idea that Russia tried to interfere in the 2016 US election. Surely it's better to err on the side of defending democracy?
It depends enormously on what they actually tried to do. Buy ads on social media? It's pretty hard for the Americans to complain about that. Hack into voting machines and change the results? Okay, that's an act of war.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 1078
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: Russia meddled in U.S. election: George W. Bush

Post by Milo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:12 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:57 pm
Milo wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:32 am
neverfail wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:23 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:19 pm
Milo wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:35 pm
Of course there is the fact that all of the US intelligence agencies agree that the Russians interfered in the 2016 election.
The same ones that insisted there were WMDs in Iraq?
All the more reason to believe them now. They would not want to suffer the embarrassment of getting it wrong twice.
And there's also the mountain of evidence found by Facebook, Twitter and others in the private sector, several European intelligence agencies, with concurrence by a number of other US lawmakers, Republican and Democrat.

I also have to wonder what benefit there is in bristling at the idea that Russia tried to interfere in the 2016 US election. Surely it's better to err on the side of defending democracy?
It depends enormously on what they actually tried to do. Buy ads on social media? It's pretty hard for the Americans to complain about that. Hack into voting machines and change the results? Okay, that's an act of war.
Frankly I'm mostly ambivalent about the ads but there are laws in America that could be interpreted to say that's illegal.

Post Reply