SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:37 am
Sertorio wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:40 am
neverfail wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:36 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:25 pm

Those were exclusively special troops used only by NATO for instance in the Balkans or in Afghanistan, or by the UN in peace keeping missions in Africa. They are not used to project (non-existent) Portuguese power or to threaten anyone. And they have been very much praised by the people they were sent to protect, not having ever given rise to any complaints because of rape, murder or paedophilia, as has happened in countries which have had to put up with American, British or French troops...
Holier than thou!
Just facts. Do facts bother you?... I wasn't the one who went mining the web for obscure videos of Portuguese troops to try to ridicule them...
1. It took ten seconds to find that.

2. It's not Portuguese troops who look ridiculous here.
I suppose it's you... Or did you have a constructive purpose in mind?...

Jim the Moron

Re: Trump Wants Military Parade

Post by Jim the Moron » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:56 pm

"Bring home our troops and, yes, throw a parade"

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/02/ ... first.html

". . . there really is no possible military solution in Afghanistan." (Bears repeating - there is no military solution in Afghanistan.)

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:47 pm

I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:26 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:56 pm

". . . there really is no possible military solution in Afghanistan." (Bears repeating - there is no military solution in Afghanistan.)
You should let the veterans of the wars you lost (or at least failed to win) come back and have their own parade just to let them know that their efforts were still appreciated. More important than a victory march after a successfully prosecuted war.

I recall how badly the Vietnam War vets were treated when they returned home. Americans unfortunately detest losers and identify with winners instead of acknowledging sincere effort for itself .

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:52 am

neverfail wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:26 am
Jim the Moron wrote:

You should let the veterans of the wars you lost (or at least failed to win) come back and have their own parade just to let them know that their efforts were still appreciated. More important than a victory march after a successfully prosecuted war.

I recall how badly the Vietnam War vets were treated when they returned home. Americans unfortunately detest losers and identify with winners instead of acknowledging sincere effort for itself .
They detest losers because, by definition, the US can never lose. That's why they keep threatening North Korea and Iran, and they cannot leave Syria alone. They will be at it as long as necessary to be seen as winners. And if that proves impossible, they may bring the world to the brink of a nuclear war... I wish we could teleport the US to one of the moons of Saturn... :D

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:13 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:52 am
neverfail wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:

They detest losers because, by definition, the US can never lose. That's why they keep threatening North Korea and Iran, and they cannot leave Syria alone. They will be at it as long as necessary to be seen as winners. And if that proves impossible, they may bring the world to the brink of a nuclear war... I wish we could teleport the US to one of the moons of Saturn... :D
It would be interesting to see a list of those nations that enjoy losing wars . . . I liked the idea of throwing a parade when the US brings home all of its personnel from Afghanistan (and from all other barbaric Islamic lands).

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:40 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:13 am
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:

It would be interesting to see a list of those nations that enjoy losing wars . . . I liked the idea of throwing a parade when the US brings home all of its personnel from Afghanistan (and from all other barbaric Islamic lands).
No one likes losing a war. But a civilized country will recognize when a defeat is unavoidable and withdraw, specially if no vital interest is at stake. The US insists on fighting much beyond what would be reasonable, just to keep the myth of invincibility. It's part of the super-hero syndrome which seems to affect most Americans...

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:04 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:40 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:

"

No one likes losing a war. But a civilized country will recognize when a defeat is unavoidable and withdraw, specially if no vital interest is at stake. The US insists on fighting much beyond what would be reasonable, just to keep the myth of invincibility. It's part of the super-hero syndrome which seems to affect most Americans...

". . . if no vital interest is at stake." - - - Yep. Attempting to stop Muslims from killing Muslims is not a "vital interest."

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:17 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:04 am
Sertorio wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:40 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:

"

". . . if no vital interest is at stake." - - - Yep. Attempting to stop Muslims from killing Muslims is not a "vital interest."
You can't stop Muslims killing Muslims, certainly not in the ME. It isn't any of the US business if they do...

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:49 pm

Sertorio wrote:
I wish we could teleport the US to one of the moons of Saturn... :D
You could have wished only to teleport U.S. policymakers and their partners in the military-industrial complex. But then that wouldn't have been anti-American enough for you.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac