Watch the Birdie! The end of Twitter?

Discussion of current events
Milo

Watch the Birdie! The end of Twitter?

Post by Milo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:09 pm

I have written before about my disgust with Twitter. Now they have legal troubles too. Not civil law either, criminal prosecution.

I don't do Twitter but some think that a majority of the accounts there are fakes. If that is true, I don't think their business can survive the revelations.

"New York's chief prosecutor says the state is opening an investigation into a firm that allegedly sold millions of fake followers to social media users.

"Impersonation and deception are illegal under New York law," said Eric Schneiderman.
The company, Devumi, stands accused of stealing real people's identities, which it denies, according to the New York Times.

The paper linked the "follower factory" to a host of celebrity accounts."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42853067

Doc

Re: Watch the Birdie! The end of Twitter?

Post by Doc » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:23 am

Milo wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:09 pm
I have written before about my disgust with Twitter. Now they have legal troubles too. Not civil law either, criminal prosecution.

I don't do Twitter but some think that a majority of the accounts there are fakes. If that is true, I don't think their business can survive the revelations.

"New York's chief prosecutor says the state is opening an investigation into a firm that allegedly sold millions of fake followers to social media users.

"Impersonation and deception are illegal under New York law," said Eric Schneiderman.
The company, Devumi, stands accused of stealing real people's identities, which it denies, according to the New York Times.

The paper linked the "follower factory" to a host of celebrity accounts."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42853067
Trending has issues as well. CNN's state of the Union was trending second today I counted one tweet per minute Hardy meriting 2nd top trend.
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” … George Orwell