Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:48 pm
neverfail wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:46 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:04 pm
Doc wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:46 am

But isn't it true?
It also happens every time that someone outside the DC Establishment looks to be the next POTUS. They will go to any lengths to stop that from happening. Including a palace coup

You miss the point doc. It matters not that the DC insiders may prefer one of their own to an outsider. The point I think that Milo was trying to make that a US president is the holder of too much institutionalised responsibility and that as a consequence too many false hopes and expectations are vested in what he can realistically achieve.
And my point is no one EVER says that when an insider is or looks like he will be POTUS. However years after Regan became president I think in his second term insiders in DC were saying Reagan put together the best Presidential team in American History. The talk of a co-presidency for Reagan was long forgotten by that time.
Reagan was a one-off. My point (and MIlo's) is that even when the President is of exceptional capability and backed up by a first rate team, too much of a burden of responsibility rests on his shoulders. That does not even take into account the potential harm done by the larger number of more mediocre administrations that come in between the rare statesmanlike standout.
I didn't hear this when Kennedy was president when LBJ was pres When Nixon was pres WHen Carter was pres. When HW was pres. When Clinton was pres When W was pres or when Obama was pres. Only when Reagan won the RNC nomination and Now with Trump. I see exactly what it is and I am not amused.
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” … George Orwell

Milo

Re: The Dominos are so close to begin falling

Post by Milo » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:01 pm

Doc wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:51 pm
neverfail wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:56 pm
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Doc wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:46 am

But isn't it true?
It also happens every time that someone outside the DC Establishment looks to be the next POTUS. They will go to any lengths to stop that from happening. Including a palace coup

You miss the point doc. It matters not that the DC insiders may prefer one of their own to an outsider. The point I think that Milo was trying to make that a US president is the holder of too much institutionalised responsibility and that as a consequence too many false hopes and expectations are vested in what he can realistically achieve.
And my point is no one EVER says that when an insider is or looks like he will be POTUS. However years after Regan became president I think in his second term insiders in DC were saying Reagan put together the best Presidential team in American History. The talk of a co-presidency for Reagan was long forgotten by that time.
Reagan was a one-off. My point (and MIlo's) is that even when the President is of exceptional capability and backed up by a first rate team, too much of a burden of responsibility rests on his shoulders. That does not even take into account the potential harm done by the larger number of more mediocre administrations that come in between the rare statesmanlike standout.
I didn't hear this when Kennedy was president when LBJ was pres When Nixon was pres WHen Carter was pres. When HW was pres. When Clinton was pres When W was pres or when Obama was pres. Only when Reagan won the RNC nomination and Now with Trump. I see exactly what it is and I am not amused.
Doc I have difficulty believing you are serious sometimes.

Doc

Post by Doc » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:32 pm

Milo wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:01 pm
Doc wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:51 pm
neverfail wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:56 pm
Doc wrote:
neverfail wrote:
neverfail wrote:

You are evading my point. Though Kennedy did state he wanted to dismantle the CIA after the bay of pigs, what the John Birch society had to say had very little influence in anything even back then.
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” … George Orwell

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:24 am

Milo wrote:

Doc wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:32 pm
You are evading my point. Though Kennedy did state he wanted to dismantle the CIA after the bay of pigs, what the John Birch society had to say had very little influence in anything even back then.
Was that poster published by the John Birch Society? Boy-oh-boy, you have some real nutters over there, don't you?

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:54 am

neverfail wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:24 am
Milo wrote:

Doc wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:32 pm
Was that poster published by the John Birch Society? Boy-oh-boy, you have some real nutters over there, don't you?
Yes it was. The John Birch society has been known as a bunch of crack pots since back then. Not establishment types but rather as far from establishment as it gets