Sweden gets the war jitters.

Discussion of current events
neverfail
Posts: 1468
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Sweden gets the war jitters.

Post by neverfail » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:27 pm

http://www.smh.com.au/world/sweden-prep ... 0k0r1.html

"The neutral country has begun to reverse post-Cold War defence cuts and step up military preparedness as incursions by Russian planes and submarines have sparked public debate over whether to join NATO."

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 936
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Sweden gets the war jitters.

Post by Sertorio » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:22 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:27 pm
http://www.smh.com.au/world/sweden-prep ... 0k0r1.html

"The neutral country has begun to reverse post-Cold War defence cuts and step up military preparedness as incursions by Russian planes and submarines have sparked public debate over whether to join NATO."
Suposedly intelligent people can sometimes seem to be very stupid. Russia is a threat to Sweden as big as Haiti... The Baltic sea is so narrow that inevitably Russian ships and aircraft sailing or flying out of Russia will have to pass very close to Sweden and its borders. How is that a threat? A much bigger threat to Sweden are the radical Muslim immigrants it has accepted, but Sweden prefers to waste its resources with useless military equipment to defend them from a non-existent threat...

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 1375
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: Sweden gets the war jitters.

Post by cassowary » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:25 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:22 am
neverfail wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:27 pm
http://www.smh.com.au/world/sweden-prep ... 0k0r1.html

"The neutral country has begun to reverse post-Cold War defence cuts and step up military preparedness as incursions by Russian planes and submarines have sparked public debate over whether to join NATO."
Suposedly intelligent people can sometimes seem to be very stupid. Russia is a threat to Sweden as big as Haiti... The Baltic sea is so narrow that inevitably Russian ships and aircraft sailing or flying out of Russia will have to pass very close to Sweden and its borders. How is that a threat? A much bigger threat to Sweden are the radical Muslim immigrants it has accepted, but Sweden prefers to waste its resources with useless military equipment to defend them from a non-existent threat...
Of course Russia is a threat to Sweden. It has nukes, a larger military than Sweden and is led by a thug, Putin.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 936
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Sweden gets the war jitters.

Post by Sertorio » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:13 am

cassowary wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:25 am

Of course Russia is a threat to Sweden. It has nukes, a larger military than Sweden and is led by a thug, Putin.
The same can be said about the US, except that the thug is called Trump...

User avatar
SteveFoerster
Posts: 1044
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, USA and Dominica, West Indies
Contact:

Re: Sweden gets the war jitters.

Post by SteveFoerster » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:11 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:13 am
cassowary wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:25 am

Of course Russia is a threat to Sweden. It has nukes, a larger military than Sweden and is led by a thug, Putin.
The same can be said about the US, except that the thug is called Trump...
I agree with your equivalence. But Russia's a lot closer.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 1375
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: Sweden gets the war jitters.

Post by cassowary » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:54 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:13 am
cassowary wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:25 am

Of course Russia is a threat to Sweden. It has nukes, a larger military than Sweden and is led by a thug, Putin.
The same can be said about the US, except that the thug is called Trump...
No, the Europeans see the US as a protector. When Trump threatened to pull out of NATO, they were alarmed. Now Trump got them to increase defense spending.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 936
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Sweden gets the war jitters.

Post by Sertorio » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:29 am

cassowary wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:54 am
Sertorio wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:13 am
cassowary wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:25 am

Of course Russia is a threat to Sweden. It has nukes, a larger military than Sweden and is led by a thug, Putin.
The same can be said about the US, except that the thug is called Trump...
No, the Europeans see the US as a protector. When Trump threatened to pull out of NATO, they were alarmed. Now Trump got them to increase defense spending.
US, a protector?!... With a protector like that who needs enemies?...

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 936
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: Sweden gets the war jitters.

Post by Sertorio » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:30 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:11 am
Sertorio wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:13 am
cassowary wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:25 am

Of course Russia is a threat to Sweden. It has nukes, a larger military than Sweden and is led by a thug, Putin.
The same can be said about the US, except that the thug is called Trump...
I agree with your equivalence. But Russia's a lot closer.
And Trump is a lot more dangerous and a lot more unpredictable...

User avatar
SteveFoerster
Posts: 1044
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:17 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, USA and Dominica, West Indies
Contact:

Re: Sweden gets the war jitters.

Post by SteveFoerster » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:07 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:30 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:11 am
Sertorio wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:13 am
cassowary wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:25 am

Of course Russia is a threat to Sweden. It has nukes, a larger military than Sweden and is led by a thug, Putin.
The same can be said about the US, except that the thug is called Trump...
I agree with your equivalence. But Russia's a lot closer.
And Trump is a lot more dangerous and a lot more unpredictable...
I actually agree, except as it applies to Europe.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 1391
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: Sweden gets the war jitters.

Post by Doc » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:29 am
cassowary wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:54 am
Sertorio wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:13 am
cassowary wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:25 am

Of course Russia is a threat to Sweden. It has nukes, a larger military than Sweden and is led by a thug, Putin.
The same can be said about the US, except that the thug is called Trump...
No, the Europeans see the US as a protector. When Trump threatened to pull out of NATO, they were alarmed. Now Trump got them to increase defense spending.
US, a protector?!... With a protector like that who needs enemies?...
The beginnings of the EU started with the Marshall Plan. Which required as a non negotiable condition economic cooperation among the European nations that wanted the aid. Actually that was about the only condition. The Marshall plan said basically -- Figure out how you can rebuilt your nations and the US would write a check. It was not only offered to Western European nations but to Eastern Europeans nations including the Soviet Union. Who turned it down and insisted that East European countries under its domination do the same. The reason for that being Stalin had expansionist dreams in Europe and feared the condition of economic cooperation would deny him from that expansion.

SO for 45 years Eastern Europe was dominated by a corrupt Soviet Union until 1989-91 and since the EU has been dominated by elitist Euro trash.

Russia has been testing the defenses of Sweden for decades. As a non Nato state it is a plausible nation for Russia to invade.
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” … George Orwell

Post Reply