India's most famous woman - Hadiya

Discussion of current events
cassowary

India's most famous woman - Hadiya

Post by cassowary » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:44 pm

India's imaginary Love Jihad

India's most famous woman Hadiya converted to Islam from Hinduism to marry her husband. Her parents disapproved her marriage and went to court to annul it. The parents won and was awarded custody of Hadiya. She was 24 years old at the time!

SteveFoerster

Re: India's most famous woman - Hadiya

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:49 am

Article on her that's not behind a paywall: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/featur ... 16513.html
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

uche africanus

Post by uche africanus » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:27 pm

India is a strange country. Why should the decisions of a 24 year old woman, who is not mentally impaired be questioned? And why give custody of her to her Parents?

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:26 pm

uche africanus wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:27 pm
India is a strange country. Why should the decisions of a 24 year old woman, who is not mentally impaired be questioned? And why give custody of her to her Parents?
You must know a bit of India's history. India was conquered by Muslims who slaughtered the Hindus by the tens of millions. For Muslims, Hindus, being idol worshippers are the lowest of the low. They don't even merit shimmies status like the Jews and Christians.

When I visited Calcutta, my guide brought me to see a victory tower built by Muslim conquerors. The old wounds are still there. So when this Hindu girl wants to convert and marry a Muslim man, there is a genuine horror among Hindus. That is why the court gave custody to her parents. It is to thwart her marriage and conversion.

uche africanus

Post by uche africanus » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:01 am

Thanks, Cass for your reply and for the bit of Indian history. I do understand that aspect of Indian history, it’s abrasive encounter and almost decimation by the Mughals. But that said, l still find it strange that Hindus find it difficult to accept choices made by their womenfolk. It is like they believe that their women are completely inferior and incapable of self-determination.

I see the same behavior among a lot of Indians who had immigrated to the west. It is the complete lack of respect for their women, and of how they exercise a double standard when it comes to what men are permitted and their denial of the same right to women.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:23 am

Uche,

They don't treat women well in India. But it has improved. In the old days, widows were burnt in her husband's funeral pyre.