Discussion of current events
SteveFoerster

Re: Evolution and Mankind's Destiny

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:26 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:24 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:16 am
It's a good thing Norman Borlaug didn't feel that way.
I'm talking about the human species, not about plants and agriculture. Do you agree there is a difference?... :roll:
No, actually. Your point seems to be that we shouldn't edit human DNA because we cannot know the outcome. But we've edited DNA for millennia now, first through selective breeding of other organisms and nowadays directly of those organisms and even ourselves. Our knowledge expands, and that's a good thing.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:56 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:26 am
Sertorio wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
I'm talking about the human species, not about plants and agriculture. Do you agree there is a difference?... :roll:
No, actually. Your point seems to be that we shouldn't edit human DNA because we cannot know the outcome. But we've edited DNA for millennia now, first through selective breeding of other organisms and nowadays directly of those organisms and even ourselves. Our knowledge expands, and that's a good thing.
Selective breeding enhances certain already existing characteristics, it's not genetic engineering. Cross-breeding would introduce changes, but we haven't cross-bred human beings with other species... at least as far as I know...

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:39 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:56 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:26 am
Sertorio wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Selective breeding enhances certain already existing characteristics, it's not genetic engineering. Cross-breeding would introduce changes, but we haven't cross-bred human beings with other species... at least as far as I know...
Sertorio, you have made distinctions where none exist. You accept GM on plants as a fact but not on animals or people (a kind of animal for all we know).
Second you group neutral selection and hybridization together but separate out artificial GM.
I belive that you need to consider that there are no hard boundaries in either case. Moreover natural selection which is on going seems acceptable to you neglecting it's I'll side effects (and those are numerous and frightening no less than those of GM). GM which can result in equally horrendous failures is to you unacceptable.
I feel differently. In nature, if you look around, every species make many mistakes in its attempt to adapt to its environment. You would not have imperfect plants birth defects and various genetic illnesses if the natural process was infallible. GM is not any different in that sense - there will be painful mistakes side effects and so on guaranteed. The concerns you raise come from acceptance of inability to control nature and accepting the good and bad outcomes while forbiding bad outcomes from GM that is run by scientists. Yes scientists are human and may do bad things motivated by greed or just due to ignorance. I do not see how that is essentially different from natural errors.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.