Life Under Kim Jong Un

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Re: Life Under Kim Jong Un

Post by Sertorio » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:26 am

neverfail wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:23 pm
sertorio,

To my knowledge Shinto is Japanese, not Korean and kami is likewise a Japanese word.

In both Koreas they have an aversion for anything Japanese as a legacy from the 1910-1945 period of brutal Japanese annexation.

Quite apart from that, I am sure that the North Korean state, being officially atheist, has obliterated the very last vestiges of religious belief.

Stalinist states are pathologically intolerant of God and all else that smacks of the supernatural and the divine: presumably because the worship of God diverts people's devotion away from the worship of the Great Leader who seeks to supplant Him. :)
I was being facetious... :D But Korea had its own brand of Shintoism, so maybe it also has its own kami-type spirits... In any case I would love to see Kim Jong-un with wings... :lol:

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:59 am

neverfail wrote:

Stalinist states are pathologically intolerant of God and all else that smacks of the supernatural and the divine: presumably because the worship of God diverts people's devotion away from the worship of the Great Leader who seeks to supplant Him. :)
You can say that again!
"In the past, the people were told to worship the Kim family as their god, but many North Koreans no longer respect Kim Jong-un", he said. "That means they are looking for something else to sustain their faith.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:15 am

cassowary wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:59 am
neverfail wrote:

You can say that again!
"In the past, the people were told to worship the Kim family as their god, but many North Koreans no longer respect Kim Jong-un", he said. "That means they are looking for something else to sustain their faith.
Has anything improved over the past two millennia?

It was the practice of the (pagan) Roman emperors of yore to lay claim to divine attributes and Roman society at large went along with that. Whilst most of the Roman Empire's multitude of religious cults 'bent with the wind' and likewise recognised the Emperor's divinity, two stood out as refusing to do so - Jews and Christians.

Both took very seriously the Mosaic first commandment: I am the lord thy god thou shalt not have strange gods before me.

Denying the Emperor's divinity was considered an act of treason. The penalty for treason in imperial Rome, as in virtually every other state before or since, was death. At this point you may likely grasp what was behind the periodic persecutions of both Jews and Christians in imperial Rome.

All of this is to point to the fact that the past practice of totalitarian Communist propaganda in the USSR (Stalin) China (Mao) and North Korea (the Kims) to godly status (by inference and insinuation) is like an infantile regression into a distant past of god kings and g0od emperors that I had believed we had left behind us many centuries ago.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:32 am

neverfail wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:15 am
cassowary wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:59 am
neverfail wrote:

You can say that again!
Has anything improved over the past two millennia?

It was the practice of the (pagan) Roman emperors of yore to lay claim to divine attributes and Roman society at large went along with that. Whilst most of the Roman Empire's multitude of religious cults 'bent with the wind' and likewise recognised the Emperor's divinity, two stood out as refusing to do so - Jews and Christians.

Both took very seriously the Mosaic first commandment: I am the lord thy god thou shalt not have strange gods before me.

Denying the Emperor's divinity was considered an act of treason. The penalty for treason in imperial Rome, as in virtually every other state before or since, was death. At this point you may likely grasp what was behind the periodic persecutions of both Jews and Christians in imperial Rome.

All of this is to point to the fact that the past practice of totalitarian Communist propaganda in the USSR (Stalin) China (Mao) and North Korea (the Kims) to godly status (by inference and insinuation) is like an infantile regression into a distant past of god kings and g0od emperors that I had believed we had left behind us many centuries ago.
The fault lies with us who too easily accept the "divinity" of our leaders... Once we reach a higher level of development leader-worship will disappear from our societies... But I'm afraid we may have to wait another couple of centuries before that happens...