Russian Sense of Humour

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Russian Sense of Humour

Post by Sertorio » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:14 am

The Russian RT television network, which is accused of everything bad happening in the world, decided to hit back with humour and has filled the London tube stations with a number of posters:

RT 1.JPG
RT 1.JPG (31.47 KiB) Viewed 62 times
RT 2.JPG
RT 2.JPG (41.68 KiB) Viewed 62 times
RT 3.JPG
RT 3.JPG (40.29 KiB) Viewed 62 times
Although the British are considered a people with a sense of humour, some of the reactions - namely from The Times - has been pretty negative...

neverfail

Re: Russian Sense of Humour

Post by neverfail » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:13 pm

UMM - that's official Russian humour, of course. It is not, Sertorio?

Would a place like Russia allow any other kind of humour?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:01 am

neverfail wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:13 pm
UMM - that's official Russian humour, of course. It is not, Sertorio?

Would a place like Russia allow any other kind of humour?
The point is that Russia is capable of answering its critics by making them look foolish, rather than by being aggressive. Which reinforces my feeling that Russia would not be likely to use nuclear weapons, except if directly attacked. Unfortunately I cannot say the same in respect of the US. Russia seems to be a self-assured country while the US looks increasingly feeble. And there is nothing more dangerous than a shaky country with nuclear weapons...

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:02 am

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:01 am
The point is that Russia is capable of answering its critics by making them look foolish, rather than by being aggressive.
What I see here is that the Russians are much, much better at understanding the culture and psychology of the West, than the other way around. This is exactly the sort of humour that will work on an English-speaking audience.
Which reinforces my feeling that Russia would not be likely to use nuclear weapons, except if directly attacked. Unfortunately I cannot say the same in respect of the US. Russia seems to be a self-assured country while the US looks increasingly feeble.
Russia wouldn't use nuclear weapons because if they did it would start a nuclear third world war that, at best, would be the end of civilisation. Meanwhile, I don't think that the U.S. will nuke DPRK as a first strike. But I agree their actions towards the Kim regime are unhelpfully provocative.
And there is nothing more dangerous than a shaky country with nuclear weapons...
Indeed, which is why I'm so grateful to Stanislav Petrov, RIP.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac