How the Democrats set up Puerto Rico for disaster

Discussion of current events
neverfail

Re: How the Democrats set up Puerto Rico for disaster

Post by neverfail » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:02 pm

cassowary wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:58 am
Till Trump came along, I have not come across accusations that the Republicans are associated with white supremacists. (And even in Trump's case, I don't believe it.)
Well, you do not want to believe it cassowary so you maintain a permanently closed mind on the possibility; as you do on other matters not to your liking.

As for the Republicans being associated with white supremacists: well, it does not seem to have occurred to you yet that it might work the other way, does it? I get the impression that both of America's big parties, Republicans as well as Democrats, are both open parties. This is to say that neither hand picks where its support comes from and neither has any real control over who identifies with them. For instance, during his 2016 election run even Trump had to rebuke David Duke, former Grand Imperial Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan for publically endorsing him as the Klan's favoured candidate for President.

See what I mean?

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:42 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:02 pm
cassowary wrote:
Till Trump came along, I have not come across accusations that the Republicans are associated with white supremacists. (And even in Trump's case, I don't believe it.)
Well, you do not want to believe it cassowary so you maintain a permanently closed mind on the possibility; as you do on other matters not to your liking.

As for the Republicans being associated with white supremacists: well, it does not seem to have occurred to you yet that it might work the other way, does it? I get the impression that both of America's big parties, Republicans as well as Democrats, are both open parties. This is to say that neither hand picks where its support comes from and neither has any real control over who identifies with them. For instance, during his 2016 election run even Trump had to rebuke David Duke, former Grand Imperial Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan for publically endorsing him as the Klan's favoured candidate for President.

See what I mean?
I see your point, Neverfail. What I was saying is that there is no Republican politician of importance that actively court the white nationalist (racist) vote in the past decades. But there had been such politicians in the Democrat camp who did that for decades of Jim Crow and slavery.

The numbers have white racists seeking racial supremacy has shrunk to negligible numbers today. America has changed. They have twice elected a black man. I am awaiting Australia's first aborigine or minority Prime Minister.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:47 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:08 pm
cassowary wrote:
Till Trump came along, I have not come across accusations that the Republicans are associated with white supremacists. (And even in Trump's case, I don't believe it.) That was at least in the past a Democrat thing. The last KKK member in the Senate that I know of was Robert Byrd, a Democrat who was still around as recent as 2010.
Apparently you've never heard either of the "Southern strategy" or of David Duke.
I have heard of both. The Southern strategy is not an indication of white supremacy. Did they campaign for segregation like what Wallace and other Democrats once did? The South has changed. As for David Duke, the KKK has shrunk to negligible numbers. Trump has repudiated him. Did he or other Republican actively court the vote of KKK Klansmen? Like what Democrats used to do? No.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:28 am

cassowary wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:47 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:08 pm
cassowary wrote:
Till Trump came along, I have not come across accusations that the Republicans are associated with white supremacists. (And even in Trump's case, I don't believe it.) That was at least in the past a Democrat thing. The last KKK member in the Senate that I know of was Robert Byrd, a Democrat who was still around as recent as 2010.
Apparently you've never heard either of the "Southern strategy" or of David Duke.
I have heard of both. The Southern strategy is not an indication of white supremacy. Did they campaign for segregation like what Wallace and other Democrats once did? The South has changed. As for David Duke, the KKK has shrunk to negligible numbers. Trump has repudiated him. Did he or other Republican actively court the vote of KKK Klansmen? Like what Democrats used to do? No.
What do you think that "both sides" crap from Trump is? When Neo-Nazis are marching through an American city and the president doesn't say anything about it, that itself is a statement.

As for the American South, it has changed since Jim Crow, and for the better, but it is nowhere near being all better.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:38 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:02 pm
cassowary wrote:

See what I mean?
cassowary wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:42 pm
I see your point, Neverfail. What I was saying is that there is no Republican politician of importance that actively court the white nationalist (racist) vote in the past decades. But there had been such politicians in the Democrat camp who did that for decades of Jim Crow and slavery.
Well, so what? That was at least one generation or more ago. By harking back on the past influence of the now lapsed Dixiecrat wing of the Democrats the way you do, you put on display only your propensity for clinging on to the past.

No US politician, Democrat or Republican, would these days knowingly seek out the white supremacist vote.
cassowary wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:42 pm
The numbers have white racists seeking racial supremacy has shrunk to negligible numbers today. America has changed. They have twice elected a black man. I am awaiting Australia's first aborigine or minority Prime Minister.
There is a huge difference in the Afro component in the US population (over one eighth of total) and the Aboriginal one in ours (only around 2.5% or ONE FOURTYITH of total) . This means that for indigenous Australians the pool of potential political talent is immeasurably smaller. I for one cannot see the point of electing an Aboriginal Prime minister just for the sake of having one. If we were to become so insanely devoted to affirmative action for minorities, we would likely end up with a very low grade of national leadership. Politics is a highly adversarial, ruthless profession in which leadership is supposed to be won entirely according to merit. This country will elect our first Aboriginal Prime Minister only when one of sufficient merit enters our political arena and has time to demonstrate his worth.