Milo wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:00 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:17 am
Sertorio wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:54 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:42 am
Actually, to be fair, I think most of the nasty things that RT and Radio Sputnik say about what Western policymakers do is probably true. Political power attracts the corrupt, whether in democracies or autocracies, so it's not like that corruption doesn't give Russian propagandists plenty of ammunition -- so long as they assiduously ignore that it's worse in Russia.
I do not discard the possibility that corruption is worse in Russia, but I would like to know how you have measured it and compared it to western corruption...
https://www.transparency.org

But I suppose you'll just handwaive that away like you do everything that doesn't support your anti-American narrative.
Too often the distinction between democracies and dictatorships is not made in these sort of discussions.

If Trump ran in Russia, he'd wind up full of polonium long before election night.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2595360/a ... b-killers/
Or simply shot and the murder blamed on another of Putin's enemies. Its called killing two birds with one stone.
A Moscow jury has found five men guilty of murdering the Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov, following a trial denounced by his family and allies as a cover-up that failed to bring the masterminds of the assassination to justice.
Dadayev initially admitted to shooting Nemtsov, but later said he had been tortured to give this confession.
Blaming Russian dirty work on its enemies is as old as the Cold War. From Ion Pacepa's book, we now know that Oswald was a Russian agent. But the left and Hollywood has blamed it on the CIA or US right wingers. All this was part of the Russian Disinformation campaign, according to Pacepa. In fact, Oswald was a commie who defected to Russia. He came back with a Russian wife Marina who was also working for the KGB.

Romanian Intelligence chief's version of History

Hollywood commie's version of History

cassowary

Russia vs China

Post by cassowary » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:22 am

SteveFoerster

Re: Putin's troll army

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:04 am

While I can believe that China would defeat Russia in a conventional war in the Russian Far East, I don't see what would ever trigger one. No one would want that, and it would be globally destabilising in a way that would hinder even the victor of such a conflict.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:32 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:04 am
While I can believe that China would defeat Russia in a conventional war in the Russian Far East, I don't see what would ever trigger one. No one would want that, and it would be globally destabilising in a way that would hinder even the victor of such a conflict.
China is on the march. Historically it expanded its borders when strong and contracted when weak. It is claiming the S China Sea. Recently, it is having border tensions with India. As for Russia, what could cause a conflict is historic. China once owned a big chunk of Siberia.

But in the "unequal" treaties of Aigun and Peking, China (then under the Manchus) ceded 100,000 sq km of territory. They will want it back someday.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:07 am

Is there anything in that shaded region of sufficient value to justify the downside of the war and generations of Russian enmity required to get it?
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:14 pm

I read somewhere that it does have natural resources. Sorry. I have no details to answer your question. But here is an article:

Why China will reclaim Siberia

The article missed the most important fact of Chinese revanchism. China is still smarting from the humiliation that western powers inflicted in the 19th century! It seeks to restore its national pride of being number 1 in the region. The two treaties of Aigun and Peking in 1858 and 1860 are the last of the "unequal treaties."

In ancient times it had a strong influence in Korea and Japan. Today, they find themselves replaced by the Americans of what they think is their rightful place. The nations in SE Asia were its vassals. It wants to restore all that

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:34 pm

Pro-Russia Twitter bots have a new strategy

Co-ordinated groups of Twitter bots pushing pro-Russian propaganda have developed an odd but occasionally effective strategy - retweeting messages that the bot-makers disagree with and flooding their enemies with followers.

Experts say the bots could be trying to clog up accounts with mentions, or even get their enemies suspended from the social network. When Joseph Cox, a journalist for the liberal news site The Daily Beast, posted about a story he wrote about pro-Russian bots, he was hit with a similar flood of retweets. His account was briefly suspended.

After the violence around a far-right rally and counterprotests in Charlottesville, Virginia in August, Nimmo published a report comparing far-right commentators in the US with pro-Kremlin commentators who wrote about the war in Ukraine.

The report was picked up by investigative website ProPublica, and a Twitter account with a tiny following sent out a message accusing ProPublica of being an "altleft hate group". The message was retweeted thousands of times.

"This was a classic obvious bot operation where the first account to do so had only posted 12 times in its entire life, it was only following six accounts and yet suddenly after this original tweet it got 23,000 retweets," Nimmo says. "There's no way that's a natural pattern of behaviour."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-41203789

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:33 am

Milo wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:34 pm
Pro-Russia Twitter bots have a new strategy

Co-ordinated groups of Twitter bots pushing pro-Russian propaganda have developed an odd but occasionally effective strategy - retweeting messages that the bot-makers disagree with and flooding their enemies with followers.

Experts say the bots could be trying to clog up accounts with mentions, or even get their enemies suspended from the social network. When Joseph Cox, a journalist for the liberal news site The Daily Beast, posted about a story he wrote about pro-Russian bots, he was hit with a similar flood of retweets. His account was briefly suspended.

After the violence around a far-right rally and counterprotests in Charlottesville, Virginia in August, Nimmo published a report comparing far-right commentators in the US with pro-Kremlin commentators who wrote about the war in Ukraine.

The report was picked up by investigative website ProPublica, and a Twitter account with a tiny following sent out a message accusing ProPublica of being an "altleft hate group". The message was retweeted thousands of times.

"This was a classic obvious bot operation where the first account to do so had only posted 12 times in its entire life, it was only following six accounts and yet suddenly after this original tweet it got 23,000 retweets," Nimmo says. "There's no way that's a natural pattern of behaviour."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-41203789
You should have realised by now that the problem for the western countries is not a Putin's troll army - supposing it exists - but the fact that many people, maybe a majority of people, think Putin's foreign policies are basically right and are helping to stop the US imperialistic policies. That trend is impossible to counter unless the US and Europe change their attitude to world affairs. Russian propaganda is dangerous for the West because far too many people perceive it as being based on truth, not on falsehood, contrarily to what happens in respect of western propaganda.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:07 am

Hahaha. I think nobody here believes you Sertorio.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:46 am

cassowary wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:07 am
Hahaha. I think nobody here believes you Sertorio.
You would be surprised...