Russia

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

Russia

Post by Sertorio » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:07 am

Many people seem to think that Russia is heading for disaster, because of demographic, economic or strategic reasons. Those feelings are often the product of wishful thinking and do not correspond to the reality. The following text says something about the economic situation of Russia:
IMF confirms recovery of Russia's economy in 2017

WASHINGTON, July 24. /TASS/. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) confirmed its April outlook on gradual recovery of the Russian economy this year. Such statement is made by the IMF in its World Economic Outlook Update for July 2017.
"The Russian economy is projected to recover gradually in 2017 and 2018, in line with the April forecast," the IMF said.
"Inflation in advanced economies remains subdued and generally below targets; it has also been declining in several emerging economies, such as Brazil, India, and Russia," the IMF added.

Fund experts earlier projected real growth of GDP in Russia at the level of 1.4% in 2017.

http://tass.com/economy/957443
A 1.4% growth is not very exciting, but the important thing is that in spite of sanctions and of low oil prices, Russia's economy is growing again. Which means that Russia's military involvement in the ME is not at risk.

SteveFoerster

Re: Russia

Post by SteveFoerster » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:10 am

Sertorio wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:07 am
Many people seem to think that Russia is heading for disaster, because of demographic, economic or strategic reasons. Those feelings are often the product of wishful thinking and do not correspond to the reality.
For demographic reasons, I think Russia is headed for long term malaise, not disaster. That is actually contrary to wishful thinking, though, because I sincerely wish only for prosperity and liberal democracy for the Russian people, which would benefit not only them but also everyone else.

So while I hardly trust either TASS or the IMF, I hope what you posted is true.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Milo

Post by Milo » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Many people seem to think that Russia is heading for disaster, because of demographic, economic or strategic reasons. Those feelings are often the product of wishful thinking and do not correspond to the reality. The following text says something about the economic situation of Russia:

WASHINGTON, July 24. /TASS/. The International Monetary Fund (IMF) confirmed its April outlook on gradual recovery of the Russian economy this year. Such statement is made by the IMF in its World Economic Outlook Update for July 2017.
"The Russian economy is projected to recover gradually in 2017 and 2018, in line with the April forecast," the IMF said.
"Inflation in advanced economies remains subdued and generally below targets; it has also been declining in several emerging economies, such as Brazil, India, and Russia," the IMF added.

Fund experts earlier projected real growth of GDP in Russia at the level of 1.4% in 2017.

A 1.4% growth is not very exciting, but the important thing is that in spite of sanctions and of low oil prices, Russia's economy is growing again. Which means that Russia's military involvement in the ME is not at risk.
Ummmmm, sure.

Why being militarily involved in the ME is a benefit is a bit of a mystery to me but YOLO and all that.

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:33 am

Milo wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:36 pm
Sertorio wrote:

Ummmmm, sure.

Why being militarily involved in the ME is a benefit is a bit of a mystery to me but YOLO and all that.
Yep, it looks to me more like the projection of Russian power abroad than defence of the rodina.

When it comes to Russia though poor Sertorio seems so addled that he cannot tell the difference between legetimate national defence and an aggressive foreign policy move far from home. ;)

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:07 am

Milo wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:36 pm
Sertorio wrote:

Ummmmm, sure.

Russia wants a port in the Mediterranean Sea.

I think Putin yearns for Russia to be a superpower in world affairs. He wants a return to the days when Russia, as the main part of the Soviet Union, was important in world affairs. The Assad family had been friends of Russia for decades and Putin does not want to lose that long cultivated relationship. Without Russian help, Assad regime will collapse.

It is all an ego trip. Russian support does not make Russians richer in any way. It drains the Soviet economy at a time when it cannot afford it.

Here is what the Economist says about why Russia is an ally of Syria.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:41 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:33 am

When it comes to Russia though poor Sertorio seems so addled that he cannot tell the difference between legetimate national defence and an aggressive foreign policy move far from home. ;)
This must be Australian humour... :D

Compared with the US, Russia has only been involved in the Syria conflict and in containing Ukrainian aggressiveness in respect of Russia and ethnic Russians in the Ukraine. Is that an aggressive foreign policy? Then, how would you qualify the pathological US foreign policy all over the world? Russia - and maybe soon China - is the only country capable of checking American imperialism. It is Russia which is preventing the destruction of the Syrian state, it is Russia which will in the near future help Iraq rebuilding its sovereignty, while at the same time putting a stop to NATO aggressiveness in Europe. Russia and China are going to stop American desire to attack North Korea, just because NK has built the means to defend itself.

Faced with the American crazy policies, you find nothing better to do than to criticize "Russian 'aggressive' foreign policy moves 'far' from home..." Thank God for Russia and for Putin, without whom we would be completely vulnerable to American pursuit of total power over the rest of the world...

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:18 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:41 am
Compared with the US, Russia has only been involved in the Syria conflict and in containing Ukrainian aggressiveness in respect of Russia and ethnic Russians in the Ukraine. Is that an aggressive foreign policy?
Yes, it is.
Then, how would you qualify the pathological US foreign policy all over the world?
I would call it even more aggressive than Russia's.
Russia - and maybe soon China - is the only country capable of checking American imperialism. It is Russia which is preventing the destruction of the Syrian state, it is Russia which will in the near future help Iraq rebuilding its sovereignty, while at the same time putting a stop to NATO aggressiveness in Europe. Russia and China are going to stop American desire to attack North Korea, just because NK has built the means to defend itself.

Faced with the American crazy policies, you find nothing better to do than to criticize "Russian 'aggressive' foreign policy moves 'far' from home..." Thank God for Russia and for Putin, without whom we would be completely vulnerable to American pursuit of total power over the rest of the world...
What, exactly, do you think the U.S. would do in the absence of Putin's involvement in Syria and his overt, indefensible aggression in Eastern Ukraine and Georgia? What is your actual specific fear?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:32 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:18 pm

What, exactly, do you think the U.S. would do in the absence of Putin's involvement in Syria and his overt, indefensible aggression in Eastern Ukraine and Georgia? What is your actual specific fear?
The US would break up both Syria and Iraq, on the one hand to protect Israel, on the other hand in order to prevent Iran establishing an effective anti-US alliance in the ME. You might say that should be indifferent to us in Europe, but it wouldn't for two reasons:

1. A new wave of refugees in Europe.
2. More control of oil and natural gas by the US and American corporations.

To be a stable partner of Europe, Russia must have a stable area of influence in the former Soviet republics and not feel threatened by NATO. The previous status quo in the Ukraine and in southern Caucasia was enough for Russia and did not harm the interests of those countries. By trying to encircle Russia and push NATO ever closer to its political and economical core, Western countries forced Russia to act. But there is no reason to think that Russia's interests would go beyond the Ukraine, so there is nothing to fear from Russia. Partition of the Ukraine, or even its federalization, for the benefit of the Russian speaking population, would be more than enough to satisfy Russia.

Obviously, the persistent efforts by the US to sanction and isolate Russia is becoming the real threat to Europe, which needs a normal relationship with Russia. Putin's policies both in the ME and in Eastern Europe are beneficial to Europe, contrarily to US policies.

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:37 pm

Russia uses drone with thermite grenade to blow up a billion dollars worth of Ukrainian ammo

Not even the first time Russia has used drones to attack Ukrainian ammo dumps
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” … George Orwell

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:56 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:32 am
The US would break up both Syria and Iraq, on the one hand to protect Israel, on the other hand in order to prevent Iran establishing an effective anti-US alliance in the ME.
In that sense, removing Sunni Saddam Hussein from power in Shia-majority Iraq was pretty much the most stupid thing the Americans could have done. But I freely admit that they're worse at this than Grandmaster Putin. (I refer to him as that as a compliment, you know. I may not like him, but I respect that he's the best player of the game.)
You might say that should be indifferent to us in Europe, but it wouldn't for two reasons:

1. A new wave of refugees in Europe.
2. More control of oil and natural gas by the US and American corporations.

To be a stable partner of Europe, Russia must have a stable area of influence in the former Soviet republics and not feel threatened by NATO. The previous status quo in the Ukraine and in southern Caucasia was enough for Russia and did not harm the interests of those countries. By trying to encircle Russia and push NATO ever closer to its political and economical core, Western countries forced Russia to act.
Let's be clear. No other country owes Russia influence, not even those with the misfortune to border it. If Russia wants influence in neighbouring countries, they can come by it honestly, rather than through invasions. NATO didn't make Russia invade Ukraine or Georgia, Russia did those things because Putin is an expansionist who doesn't respect other countries' sovereignty any better than the Americans do.
But there is no reason to think that Russia's interests would go beyond the Ukraine, so there is nothing to fear from Russia. Partition of the Ukraine, or even its federalization, for the benefit of the Russian speaking population, would be more than enough to satisfy Russia.
Normally I avoid comparisons like this, but this time it's just too blatant: you sound just like Neville Chamberlain in 1938. I mean, you did everything here but claim Russia needs lebensraum.
Obviously, the persistent efforts by the US to sanction and isolate Russia is becoming the real threat to Europe, which needs a normal relationship with Russia. Putin's policies both in the ME and in Eastern Europe are beneficial to Europe, contrarily to US policies.
The Middle East is such a dubious prize that I don't know why the great powers bother with all this. It would make much more sense to spend that money researching practical alternatives to petroleum so that the various potentates there would have no leverage against industrialised countries. Geopolitically, the best thing the U.S. could do would be to go ahead and let Putin squander Russian energy there.