The Trump Doctrine

Discussion of current events
Jim the Moron
Posts: 532
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: The Trump Doctrine

Post by Jim the Moron » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:25 am

There's a lot to be said for a U.S. foreign policy approach that isn't particularly concerned about what folks in other countries think about it . . .

"No-one likes Trump, I don't care" (Spengler)
http://www.atimes.com/article/no-one-li ... dont-care/

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 1194
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: The Trump Doctrine

Post by Doc » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:59 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:25 am
There's a lot to be said for a U.S. foreign policy approach that isn't particularly concerned about what folks in other countries think about it . . .

"No-one likes Trump, I don't care" (Spengler)
http://www.atimes.com/article/no-one-li ... dont-care/
David at his best
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx

Jim the Moron
Posts: 532
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:51 pm

Re: The Trump Doctrine

Post by Jim the Moron » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Doc wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:59 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:25 am
There's a lot to be said for a U.S. foreign policy approach that isn't particularly concerned about what folks in other countries think about it . . .

"No-one likes Trump, I don't care" (Spengler)
http://www.atimes.com/article/no-one-li ... dont-care/
David at his best
Yep. It was tempting to quote particularly excellent Spenglerian viewpoints, but there were so many. This is a sample:

"It takes refined intellect and profound scholarship to rationalize the mayhem that the foreign policy establishment has inflicted on the world in the name of nation building, human rights, and similar humbug."

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 1194
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: The Trump Doctrine

Post by Doc » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:45 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:01 pm
Doc wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:59 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:25 am
There's a lot to be said for a U.S. foreign policy approach that isn't particularly concerned about what folks in other countries think about it . . .

"No-one likes Trump, I don't care" (Spengler)
http://www.atimes.com/article/no-one-li ... dont-care/
David at his best
Yep. It was tempting to quote particularly excellent Spenglerian viewpoints, but there were so many. This is a sample:

"It takes refined intellect and profound scholarship to rationalize the mayhem that the foreign policy establishment has inflicted on the world in the name of nation building, human rights, and similar humbug."
It is no wonder they hate Trump so much. They have spent their careers and made lots of money being the "smartest" policy wonks in the room.

The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: The Trump Doctrine

Post by Milo » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:59 pm

Doc wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 7:13 am
Milo wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 11:02 pm
Doc wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 9:25 pm
Milo wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 5:31 pm
Doc wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 8:48 am
The Trump Doctrine: Hunt terrorists & we'll help you. Fund terrorists & we'll hunt you. BUT,we won't fight your fights for you
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/opin ... -east.html

A Trump Doctrine for the Middle East?

By MICHAEL DORANMAY 19, 2017
Continue reading the main story
Share This Page
Photo
Credit Mike Reddy

During his campaign, Donald Trump’s Middle East policy seemed to begin and end with his vow to “bomb the hell” out of the Islamic State — a pledge that played well with his base but unsettled establishment foreign policy experts, who worried that the collateral damage would include everything else America has been trying to build in the region.

The establishment was giving itself too much credit: Our policies in the Middle East have been blowing themselves up for a good while. As Mr. Trump embarks Friday on his first foreign trip, including stops in Israel and Saudi Arabia, he has a chance to put in place a new long-term vision. In fact, the outlines of one are already in place. Despite the controversies at home, Mr. Trump may come away with a legacy-cementing achievement: a Trump Doctrine for the Middle East.

The Middle East is complex, but Mr. Trump’s predecessors stumbled for a singular reason: the rise of Iran. As a senior official in the George W. Bush administration, I saw firsthand how President Bush’s democracy project in Iraq diverted attention from countering Iran and its proxies. Mr. Bush seems to have believed that a robust democracy in Iraq would serve simultaneously as a bulwark against Sunni Islamic extremism and Iranian power. In the end, Iran slipped into Iraq under Mr. Bush’s nose, subverted the project, and recruited proxy militias to promote its interests.

Mr. Bush let Iran in by miscalculation. President Barack Obama, by contrast, embraced Iranian ascendancy with open arms — and not just in Iraq, but in Syria as well. Mr. Obama dropped efforts to contain Iran and sought a nuclear accord that would allow the West to normalize relations because he was convinced that recognition of an Iranian sphere of influence would persuade Tehran to function as a partner in stabilizing Iraq and Syria. This was another miscalculation, and it led directly to the Russian-Iranian military alliance in Syria.
Pfft! What a load of crap.

"President Trump is contemplating sending 3,000 to 5,000 more U.S. troops to Afghanistan."

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/05/17/wha ... ghanistan/

"Earlier this month, 400 Marines were quietly deployed to northern Syria to to support local militias fighting Islamic State, according to U.S. officials.

An additional 300 Paratroopers were sent to help the Iraqi military in their six-month assault on the city of Mosul."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 62016.html
All of which fall under *Helping* locals fight Islamic terrorists
I thought Obama got it right too.
Milo it has been suggested that the Trump Doctrine is the Milo Doctrine.. Do you agree?
Did not see your question until now.

No: the Milo Doctrine is not concerned with hunting terrorists. I think the label "terrorist" is a waste of time.

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 1194
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: The Trump Doctrine

Post by Doc » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:46 am

Milo wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:59 pm
Doc wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 7:13 am
Milo wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 11:02 pm
Doc wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 9:25 pm
Milo wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 5:31 pm
Pfft! What a load of crap.

"President Trump is contemplating sending 3,000 to 5,000 more U.S. troops to Afghanistan."

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/05/17/wha ... ghanistan/

"Earlier this month, 400 Marines were quietly deployed to northern Syria to to support local militias fighting Islamic State, according to U.S. officials.

An additional 300 Paratroopers were sent to help the Iraqi military in their six-month assault on the city of Mosul."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 62016.html
All of which fall under *Helping* locals fight Islamic terrorists
I thought Obama got it right too.
Milo it has been suggested that the Trump Doctrine is the Milo Doctrine.. Do you agree?
Did not see your question until now.

No: the Milo Doctrine is not concerned with hunting terrorists. I think the label "terrorist" is a waste of time.
The alternate label used has been "Freedom Fighters"
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 757
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: The Trump Doctrine

Post by Milo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:29 am

Doc wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:46 am
Milo wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:59 pm
Doc wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 7:13 am
Milo wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 11:02 pm
Doc wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 9:25 pm
Milo wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 5:31 pm


Pfft! What a load of crap.

"President Trump is contemplating sending 3,000 to 5,000 more U.S. troops to Afghanistan."

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/05/17/wha ... ghanistan/

"Earlier this month, 400 Marines were quietly deployed to northern Syria to to support local militias fighting Islamic State, according to U.S. officials.

An additional 300 Paratroopers were sent to help the Iraqi military in their six-month assault on the city of Mosul."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 62016.html
All of which fall under *Helping* locals fight Islamic terrorists
I thought Obama got it right too.
Milo it has been suggested that the Trump Doctrine is the Milo Doctrine.. Do you agree?
Did not see your question until now.

No: the Milo Doctrine is not concerned with hunting terrorists. I think the label "terrorist" is a waste of time.
The alternate label used has been "Freedom Fighters"
That one is better but it's seldom used with any credible effort at accuracy.

User avatar
Doc
Posts: 1194
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm
Location: Cradle To Grave

Re: The Trump Doctrine

Post by Doc » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:40 pm

Milo wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:29 am
Doc wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:46 am
Milo wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:59 pm
Doc wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 7:13 am
Milo wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 11:02 pm
Doc wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 9:25 pm


All of which fall under *Helping* locals fight Islamic terrorists
I thought Obama got it right too.
Milo it has been suggested that the Trump Doctrine is the Milo Doctrine.. Do you agree?
Did not see your question until now.

No: the Milo Doctrine is not concerned with hunting terrorists. I think the label "terrorist" is a waste of time.
The alternate label used has been "Freedom Fighters"
That one is better but it's seldom used with any credible effort at accuracy.
I believe the full usages is "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" Though the point of "freedom Fighters" that terrorizing by intentionally kill innocent civilians and doing things like beheading them for max effect is problematic in that definition.
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx

User avatar
armchair_pundit
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: The Trump Doctrine

Post by armchair_pundit » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:09 pm

All that matters is who will be writing the history books 100 years from now :evil:

neverfail
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:47 am

Re: The Trump Doctrine

Post by neverfail » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:52 am

The Trump doctrine?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You could publish a book about it and it would be full of blank pages.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests