North Korea threatens nuclear strike on Australia.

Discussion of current events
Sertorio

North Korea's Anti-Ship Cruise Missile

Post by Sertorio » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:32 am

The question is: can it hit an aircraft carrier and severely damage it?...

neverfail

Re: North Korea threatens nuclear strike on Australia.

Post by neverfail » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:56 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 3:27 am
neverfail wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 3:06 am

Sertorio: you repeatedly make the mistake of presuming that any ally of the United States must necessarily be a client state of the USA with Washington setting the policy agenda. Well, the Soviet Union ran the Warsaw Pact like that but that does not mean that the Western web of alliances is a mirror image of the Warsaw pact.
You have finally hit the nail on the head! The US does really treat its "allies" very much in the manner the Soviet Union treated the Warsaw Pact countries.
:? Yeah? News to me.
:?:
:idea:
Do you recall Hungary in 1956 or Czechoslovakia in 1968? :twisted: Tell me when the United States ever invaded one of its NATO allies like that?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:29 am

neverfail wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:56 am
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Sertorio: you repeatedly make the mistake of presuming that any ally of the United States must necessarily be a client state of the USA with Washington setting the policy agenda. Well, the Soviet Union ran the Warsaw Pact like that but that does not mean that the Western web of alliances is a mirror image of the Warsaw pact.
You have finally hit the nail on the head! The US does really treat its "allies" very much in the manner the Soviet Union treated the Warsaw Pact countries.
Do you recall Hungary in 1956 or Czechoslovakia in 1968? :twisted: Tell me when the United States ever invaded one of its NATO allies like that?
Invasion was the crude Soviet way to put pressure on its "allies". The US uses the softer economic and financial blackmail, which is at least as effective...

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:53 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:29 am
neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:

Invasion was the crude Soviet way to put pressure on its "allies". The US uses the softer economic and financial blackmail, which is at least as effective...
When American troops show up in Lisbon, overthrowing Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, then you get to say they treat their allies in "very much the same manner" as the Soviets did their satellites.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Sertorio wrote:

If you were a woman, would you not rather experience seduction than rape?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:08 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:53 pm
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:

When American troops show up in Lisbon, overthrowing Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa, then you get to say they treat their allies in "very much the same manner" as the Soviets did their satellites.
No need for invasion. If Portugal decided to leave NATO and lease the Azores base to Russia or to China, the US would do away with our government without having to fire a shot...

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:30 pm

Sertorio wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:08 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:53 pm
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:
Sertorio wrote:
neverfail wrote:

No need for invasion. If Portugal decided to leave NATO and lease the Azores base to Russia or to China, the US would do away with our government without having to fire a shot...
They're very slow at it though. Ask the Cubans.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:43 am

North Korea's ICBM
ICBM (1).JPG
ICBM (1).JPG (36.01 KiB) Viewed 57 times
ICBM (2).JPG
ICBM (2).JPG (38.83 KiB) Viewed 57 times
ICBM (3).JPG
ICBM (3).JPG (27.73 KiB) Viewed 57 times
Looks real enough to me...

neverfail

Re: I am unconvinced!

Post by neverfail » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:17 am

North Korea claims that it's latest missile test is an ICBM that can reach America yet I notice that it travelled only about the same distance as previous missiles it has tested before plunging into the Sea of Japan. Could the North Korean government be telling a tactical lie about their missile capability as propaganda to put the wind up the South Koreans, Japanese and Americans?

Sertorio

Re: I am unconvinced!

Post by Sertorio » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:23 am

neverfail wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:17 am
North Korea claims that it's latest missile test is an ICBM that can reach America yet I notice that it travelled only about the same distance as previous missiles it has tested before plunging into the Sea of Japan. Could the North Korean government be telling a tactical lie about their missile capability as propaganda to put the wind up the South Koreans, Japanese and Americans?
If fired at a normal angle, the NK missile could have reached over 6,000 km, as has been recognized by the Americans themselves. In any case, it is going to be increasingly difficult for the US to threaten NK. Time for negotiations towards a peace treaty in Korea, formally ending the Korean war, and establishing a working relationship with NK. There is no other alternative to solve the Korean crisis.