US Foreign Policy

Discussion of current events
User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: US Foreign Policy

Post by cassowary » Thu May 10, 2018 8:32 am

Trump-Fatty Kim meeting will be held in Singapore on June 12th.
The announcement came a day after North Korea released three imprisoned Americans during US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's most recent visit to Pyongyang.

Beyond securing the release of the three Americans, Pompeo also finalized details for the upcoming summit between Trump and Kim.

Trump has struck a cautiously optimistic tone ..
Why Singapore?

1)It is a safe place
2)It has modern communications
3)It is neutral territory
4)It is rich which makes the point that N Korea can too be rich - if it changes its behavior.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 1262
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: US Foreign Policy

Post by Sertorio » Thu May 10, 2018 8:40 am

cassowary wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:32 am
Trump-Fatty Kim meeting will be held in Singapore on June 12th.
The announcement came a day after North Korea released three imprisoned Americans during US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's most recent visit to Pyongyang.

Beyond securing the release of the three Americans, Pompeo also finalized details for the upcoming summit between Trump and Kim.

Trump has struck a cautiously optimistic tone ..
Why Singapore?

1)It is a safe place
2)It has modern communications
3)It is neutral territory
4)It is rich which makes the point that N Korea can too be rich - if it changes its behavior.
Macao or Hong Kong would have been much better choices and safer for Kim Jong-un.

User avatar
armchair_pundit
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: US Foreign Policy

Post by armchair_pundit » Thu May 10, 2018 9:38 am

Sertorio wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:40 am
cassowary wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:32 am
Trump-Fatty Kim meeting will be held in Singapore on June 12th.
The announcement came a day after North Korea released three imprisoned Americans during US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's most recent visit to Pyongyang.

Beyond securing the release of the three Americans, Pompeo also finalized details for the upcoming summit between Trump and Kim.

Trump has struck a cautiously optimistic tone ..
Why Singapore?

1)It is a safe place
2)It has modern communications
3)It is neutral territory
4)It is rich which makes the point that N Korea can too be rich - if it changes its behavior.
Macao or Hong Kong would have been much better choices and safer for Kim Jong-un.
Why, because they speak Portuguese in Macao and have the luxury gambling palaces?

Or HK, to still be in Mother China's bosom?

User avatar
Milo
Posts: 1072
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Re: US Foreign Policy

Post by Milo » Thu May 10, 2018 4:05 pm

cassowary wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:49 pm
Milo wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:24 pm
Trump has exchanged a bad agreement with Iran for no agreement.

Now he makes threats in order to keep Iran from doing what the agreement already kept them from doing.
But the Iranians cannot be trusted to live up to their side of the bargain. They are most likely cheating. That is why the US or the iAEA are not allowed to inspect Iranian weapons site. If they had no intentions to cheat, then they should be open to inspection.
As I said, a bad deal, but most treaties are. Many feel that jaw jaw is better than war war.

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: US Foreign Policy

Post by cassowary » Thu May 10, 2018 6:23 pm

Milo wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:05 pm
cassowary wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:49 pm
Milo wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:24 pm
Trump has exchanged a bad agreement with Iran for no agreement.

Now he makes threats in order to keep Iran from doing what the agreement already kept them from doing.
But the Iranians cannot be trusted to live up to their side of the bargain. They are most likely cheating. That is why the US or the iAEA are not allowed to inspect Iranian weapons site. If they had no intentions to cheat, then they should be open to inspection.
As I said, a bad deal, but most treaties are. Many feel that jaw jaw is better than war war.
Sometimes, threats of war-war lead to jaw-jaw. Exhibit A is Fatty Kim coming to the table with Trump and Moon.

User avatar
cassowary
Posts: 1709
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:30 pm

Re: US Foreign Policy

Post by cassowary » Thu May 10, 2018 8:45 pm

... Continued from above post.

Talk of war-war worked with Fatty Kim. But it remains to be seen if it will work with the Mullahs of Iran. The Mullahs have an evil ideology based on their faith. They wish for Islam (Shiite style) to dominate the world. So they wage a Holy War to bring the region under an Islamic state ruled by them. Those who die in this endeavour will go to paradise and receive 72 virgins.

Now Fatty Kim is a different kettle of fish. He probably already has 720 virgins awaiting him here on earth or at least he has the means to get them. He does not want to die. So Trump's crude threat of "fire and fury" worked with him.

Trump appears to have his confidence inflated after his unconventional approach worked despite the criticism of the "experts" in the news media. So he is trying it again. While intimidation worked with Fatty Kim, an atheist, will it work with the believers of the world's last warrior religion, Islam?

This will be interesting.

User avatar
Sertorio
Posts: 1262
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:12 am

Re: US Foreign Policy

Post by Sertorio » Fri May 11, 2018 4:10 am

cassowary wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:45 pm
... Continued from above post.

Talk of war-war worked with Fatty Kim. But it remains to be seen if it will work with the Mullahs of Iran. The Mullahs have an evil ideology based on their faith. They wish for Islam (Shiite style) to dominate the world. So they wage a Holy War to bring the region under an Islamic state ruled by them. Those who die in this endeavour will go to paradise and receive 72 virgins.

Now Fatty Kim is a different kettle of fish. He probably already has 720 virgins awaiting him here on earth or at least he has the means to get them. He does not want to die. So Trump's crude threat of "fire and fury" worked with him.

Trump appears to have his confidence inflated after his unconventional approach worked despite the criticism of the "experts" in the news media. So he is trying it again. While intimidation worked with Fatty Kim, an atheist, will it work with the believers of the world's last warrior religion, Islam?

This will be interesting.
And I suppose that when you die you will be received in paradise (?) by 72 clones of Milton Friedman...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Reply