US Foreign Policy

Discussion of current events
Jim the Moron

Re: US Foreign Policy

Post by Jim the Moron » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:47 am

"Trump finds the keys to the family gun cabinet"
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... un-cabinet

"By showing Isis this kind of attention, Trump and his military commanders have highlighted its successes while reinforcing the group's propaganda claims to be fighting a just jihad against western infidel invaders."

Let me see if I've got this right. By blowing a bunch of mouth-breathing Muslim terrorists to their variously characterized rewards, the U.S. is "reinforcing" Isis propaganda. Best not to show "Isis this kind of attention," eh?

Which brings us back to the deployment of the "MOAB" (which by the way is also the name of my favorite town in Utah). If not now, when? Must the U.S wait till Canada invades North Dakota to deploy those mothers?

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:20 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:15 am
Actually, Sertorio, "most westerners are incapable of analysing" lots of things objectively. The lack of support (including by most posters here) for US foreign policy now, and over the last several decades, is based on outcomes, and not because of failures to swallow whole conspiratorial blather.
Weren't the last words of Dave Poole in 2001:a space oddessy, as he fell into the end of the big twin of the lunar monolith, "My God its full of conspiracies theories"?

The last images have been cut from the post 2001 version of the movie.
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:30 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/04/14 ... aries.html
Ex-Obama officials say hesitation to use force in Syria, elsewhere, emboldened adversaries

By Elizabeth Llorente Published April 14, 2017 FoxNews.com

News of President Trump’s response to the Syrian chemical attack left several Obama administration officials with a sense of frustration and a reluctant feeling of vindication.

Trump’s decision to act swiftly and decisively, with an airstrike, was what they had wanted to see Barack Obama do in 2013 when he was president and the world learned of the Syrian government’s chemical attack that killed some 1,400 people, including hundreds of children.

But Obama, they say, was too hesitant and too guided by a belief that dialogue was the way to deal with rogue leaders. He preferred the olive branch to the stick in his efforts to appeal to leaders with dangerous instincts, they say.

“I think he left a more dangerous world,” Barry Pavel, senior director for defense policy and strategy on the U.S. National Security Council staff from 2008 to 2010, said to Fox News.
More at the link
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:52 am

It is increasingly clear that the present Trump administration is not only stupid and ignorant but it is also evil. And the most upsetting thing is that had Hillary Clinton been elected her administration would have been equally evil. The ruling elite in the US seems to have decided that we must have wars with Russia and China in order to make the US the absolute power on the planet for hundreds of years. If that happens we will be back in a feudal state, where we will all have to work for the benefit of the 1%. Once there, I really do not know how to get out...

It is now that the free peoples of the Earth will have to decide to stop this truly "dark force", before its power grows beyond our capacity to destroy it. The American people could be the advance guard of such a movement, but I'm afraid most Americans do not realize what is going on.

Difficult times ahead...

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:21 am

Pretty much true, Sertorio. We don't see much evidence of change from the asinine and wasteful (blood and treasure) "policing" activities of American foreign policy - interjecting American ground forces into conflicts they have no business (American national security threatened?) being in. Syria is the prime example these days, but Afghanistan and much of the Middle East are included, too. The encouraging action in response to the gassing of Syrians was followed by further deployments of American troops in the ME/North Africa and the aircraft carrier fiasco in the Pacific.

"Wars with Russia and China?" Heck, anything's possible, but I see no likelihood of that happening. Russia is only interested in controlling its "near abroads" and protecting its interests in Syria. China only seeks to protect its commercial domination of East Asia. The US will, after much bluster, make accommodations for all of that.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Tue May 09, 2017 4:08 pm

"US to arm Syrian Kurds battling Islamic State, despite Turkish ire"
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/wor ... re-8832904

What? The US is supporting Kurdish forces in the face of ('NATO ally") Turkish opposition? That runs against the grain of all US foreign policy decisions in the ME over the years.

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue May 09, 2017 5:34 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 4:08 pm

What? The US is supporting Kurdish forces in the face of ('NATO ally") Turkish opposition? That runs against the grain of all US foreign policy decisions in the ME over the years.
Now that the water is draining out of the swamp I expect we will get to see some interesting things in the near future

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed May 10, 2017 9:35 am

Doc wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 5:34 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:

Now that the water is draining out of the swamp I expect we will get to see some interesting things in the near future
I expect that has less to do with the new alligators running the swamp and more to do with general Western dissatisfaction with Erdoğan.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed May 10, 2017 10:52 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 9:35 am
Doc wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:

I expect that has less to do with the new alligators running the swamp and more to do with general Western dissatisfaction with Erdoğan.
Erdodan didn't make the Middle east of today Obama did.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Wed May 10, 2017 11:36 am

Doc wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 10:52 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 9:35 am
Doc wrote:
Jim the Moron wrote:

Erdodan didn't make the Middle east of today Obama did.
You misspelled "Bush".
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac