US Foreign Policy

Discussion of current events
SteveFoerster

Re: US Foreign Policy

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:45 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:47 am
Before WWII there were over 100,000 Jews in Iraq; now there are none.
That's not evidence that the Iraqis were especially awful to them, particularly in the '40s and '50s, but rather that they wanted to be part of Israel instead (which is understandable).

Note that I'm not saying the Iraqis of that time weren't awful, just that mass Aliyah isn't evidence for it.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:20 am

"Iranian president Rouhani condemns 'ignorant, absurd, hateful' Trump speech"
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -speech-un
Rouhani: "We never threaten anyone but we don't tolerate threats from anyone."

Gosh, Rouhani, you coulda fooled me. Recall "death to America" & "death to Israel?" I guess not.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:49 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:20 am

Gosh, Rouhani, you coulda fooled me. Recall "death to America" & "death to Israel?" I guess not.
Those are not threats. They are wishes... :lol:

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:50 am

Sertorio wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:49 am
Jim the Moron wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:20 am

Those are not threats. They are wishes... :lol:
True, true.

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:32 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:45 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
That's not evidence that the Iraqis were especially awful to them, particularly in the '40s and '50s, but rather that they wanted to be part of Israel instead (which is understandable).

Note that I'm not saying the Iraqis of that time weren't awful, just that mass Aliyah isn't evidence for it.
Jews of Iraq did not voluntarily leave they were forced out by the usual (now) Muslim violence. For details lookup the term "Farhood" which has been a period of Muslim riots that were visited upon the Jews in Iraq in the late 1930's. These were not the only muslim violent riots though, prior riots coincided with the end of WWI. While the Iraqi jews have been integrated into the Iraqi government bureaucracies for many years before their expulsion, the ordinary jews were suffering from a strong bias and persecution by the fellow Muslims for centuries helpless to defend themselves. After the Farhood laws fashioned after the Nazi Nirenberg laws which limited ownership of property and government work.

The expulsion of Jews post WWII was not limited to Iraq, it was a result of a coordinated effort and plan of the then Arab Legue as demonstrated by the protocols of their convention.

Sadly cultural jewish items that were rescued from Saddam's collections, restored by the US may never returned to their rightful owners many of which are in Israel. The US deep state love affair with the Arab Muslims is totally inexplicable despite.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

neverfail

Re: the scarcer, the more highly valued?

Post by neverfail » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:50 am

dagbay wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:32 pm
SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:45 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:

Jews of Iraq did not voluntarily leave they were forced out by the usual (now) Muslim violence. For details lookup the term "Farhood" which has been a period of Muslim riots that were visited upon the Jews in Iraq in the late 1930's. These were not the only muslim violent riots though, prior riots coincided with the end of WWI.

(SNIP)

The expulsion of Jews post WWII was not limited to Iraq, it was a result of a coordinated effort and plan of the then Arab Legue as demonstrated by the protocols of their convention.
(Sigh :roll: ) Why are Jews seemingly so loved by the gentiles around them wherever on this earth they settle in large enough numbers to be noticed, dagbay?

For instance, it has not escaped my attention that Europe had a lot more Jewry prior to the Second World War and they were in those days widely persecuted. There are far fewer of them in post WW2 Europe and they seem to be characteristically much more cherished. :)

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:11 am

"The US deep state love affair with the Arab Muslims is totally inexplicable." (dagbay) Could one or both of these factors be in play?
1. Arab oil had a strong influence over corruptable deep state types.
2. Deep state types are often aligned with anti-Semitic/anti-Israel interests.

"Europe had a lot more Jewry prior to the Second World War." (neverfail) And then what happened?

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:18 am

Empire Destroying Wars Are Coming to America Under Trump – Part 3
by Michael Krieger | Posted Thursday Oct 12, 2017 at 12:56 pm

The first two parts of this series focused on how Trump-specific factors could lead the American empire into another series of foolish and highly destructive wars. Part 1 discussed my concerns regarding Iran deal certification, as well as Trump’s increased coziness with Arkansas Senator Tom Cotton, who appears to get turned on by the use of violent force. Part 2 considered how Trump might sell his wars by promoting an environment of slobbering, superficial patriotism, and also speculated that corporate media might rally behind Trump if the target of his aggression happens to be Iran.

Today’s piece will be slightly different. The prior posts focused on Trump-specific angles with regard to how America’s forthcoming military mistake might play out, but I want to make one thing clear. While Trump carries his own unique risks when it comes to militarism overseas, this is all much bigger than Trump.

In the aftermath of the financial crisis, I’ve become convinced that the U.S. empire will never reform on its own. There’s simply too much money and power at stake, and we already know oligarchs are above the law under our two-tier justice system. The biggest financial criminals of a generation were not only spared prison for their actions, but were handsomely rewarded. Wall Street ran the Obama administration before, and it runs the Trump administration now. It’s become clear to me that these lawless elite crooks and their enablers will continue with their insane and oppressive policies until the whole thing collapses. Whether Trump, Pence or Hillary Clinton run the charade doesn’t change where this train is headed.

I say this because I don’t want people to think I believe everything would work out fine if Trump wasn’t in charge. Our society is extraordinarily corrupt, delusional and systemically abusive. The public no longer has confidence in any of our institutions and for very good reasons. Our institutions exist merely to serve as gatekeepers to protect predatory crooks from the consequences of their actions.

The reason I focus on war leading to a more dangerous phase of imperial collapse is because I think that’s the most likely way this thing will go down. When I look around at those in positions of power or influence in the U.S., I don’t see people who’ve learned lessons from Iraq, Libya and now Yemen. Rather, I see a continued consensus of interventionists who’ll never stop looking for the next country to bomb. As such, it’s likely they’ll eventually pick the wrong fight, and everything will crumble pretty fast after that.

I think the most likely target for such aggression under Trump is Iran, but such a move will not go down the same way as the Iraq war. Back in 2003, U.S. leadership still had some standing in the world and amongst its own people. It was only two years after 9/11, and the American government was still seen as a positive force in the world by many. George W. Bush and his pals used this goodwill to destroy a country that never attacked us, killing hundreds of thousands of people in the process. Even worse, the entire thing was based on lies and media propaganda. A decade and a half later, the U.S. has been involved in plenty of other overseas calamities, but none as major as Iraq. Any new major conflict would happen in a world where the U.S. is far more despised than it was in 2003.

It’s sad to say it, but over the course of the 21st century the U.S. government has exposed itself as a corrupt bully, not just to the outside world, but also to its own people. Moreover, those in positions of power and influence in America either don’t recognize this reality or don’t care. It’s this sort of disconnected hubris combined with rampant internal corruption that is the true graveyard of empires. I think both allies and enemies abroad have had enough, and given the right opportunity, will let the U.S. sink.

As I explained in the post, Prepare for Impact – This is the Beginning of the End for U.S. Empire:

How is all this going to play out? Obviously nobody really knows, but I do think we’ve entered a new period in American history. I think it’s basically a crossing of the Rubicon moment for the American empire. Personally, I don’t expect a strong and visible military response from Russia in the near-term. I don’t think Putin wants to give the U.S. media and newly minted neocon Donald Trump an excuse to do anything truly crazy, which they can blame on Russia in the court of public opinion. I think Putin is too smart for that. Rather, what I think he’ll do is make all sorts of moves behind the scenes to weaken America’s economic power, while at the same time engaging in minor provocations to tempt the imbeciles in charge of U.S. foreign policy to make further mistakes abroad, to which they’ll emphatically oblige.

In other words, Russia will attempt to make the U.S. extend itself further in a region where no real success is possible, at the same time that the American economy deteriorates further. Recall that the current very weak economic “recovery” has been going on for nearly a decade. This cycle is very long in the tooth, and all Russia really needs to do is sit back, make some moves behind the scenes and allow the U.S. to collapse upon itself in its hubris and stupidity. This is precisely what I think is going to happen.

U.S. leadership is so delusional, and quite frankly stupid, that it thinks the answer to grave overseas threats is more aggression. The exact opposite is true. I’m of the view that both China and Russia are sitting back and just waiting for the U.S. to do something historically idiotic overseas.

Many Americans voted for Trump hoping that he would avoid such a scenario, but this optimism looks increasingly misplaced. As such, I expect a major military mistake in the years ahead which will set off a chain reaction that will ultimately deal a huge and very public blow to the U.S. empire. In other words, if you live another ten years you can expect to live through a period of rapid decay for the country as we know it.

While I believe such a collapse is extremely likely, it doesn’t mean the answer is to cower in fear as events begin to unfold. Rather, the better you understand the risks, the better prepared you’ll be to ride out the times ahead, thus providing a platform to turn a chaotic and dangerous situation into something positive.

So be a better person. Try to help people who need it. Spread ideas of decentralization and promote a worldwide movement away from centralized authoritarian structures wherever and whenever possible. The future is what we make of it, and the future can be very bright. To create a better world we’ll need a more conscious population grounded in decent behavior, and there’s no better place to start than with ourselves.

https://libertyblitzkrieg.com/2017/10/1 ... mp-part-3/
You have been warned. Do nothing at your own risk...

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:35 pm

Washington speeds up collision course with Europe over Iran
by Finian Cunningham (*)

The Trump administration is accelerating on a collision course with its European allies over the Iran nuclear deal. Washington is essentially demanding the EU joins in backdoor sanctions against Iran – or face financial penalties. In short: browbeating, arm-twisting, and bribery.

In a sign of the times, the Europeans are resisting American pressure. With huge investments already lined up between EU countries and Iran, the Trump administration is being viewed with contempt for daring to bully European economic interests.

In a classic backfire, Washington’s browbeating of European allies is pushing them to reorient their strategic interests toward China, Russia and a multilateral global order in which US power diminishes even further.

Earlier this week, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson gave an extraordinarily explicit warning to Europe over Iran. At a news conference in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, Tillerson said European companies are “at great risk” if they invest in Iran owing to the Trump administration possibly re-imposing sanctions on Tehran in the coming months.

Trump’s dangling of sanctions follows his “decertification” earlier this month of the international nuclear accord signed with Iran and five other world powers: Russia, China, Britain, France, and Germany. Known formally as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), the July 2015 deal promised to lift trade sanctions on Iran in exchange for the latter’s restriction on its nuclear energy program to prevent any weaponization.

Washington’s repudiation of the JCPOA is not shared by the Europeans, Russia nor China. The UN nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency, has also confirmed that Iran is in full compliance with the terms of the accord. EU leaders and diplomats have adamantly said they have no intention of abandoning the agreement or renegotiating it. China and Russia likewise concur.

From the early days of Trump’s presidency, he has been griping about the Iran deal, calling it the “worst ever.” He and others in Washington claim Iran is using sanctions relief to finance support for Syrian ally Bashar Assad, Lebanon’s Hezbollah movement and clandestine terror operations in the Middle East. Washington’s claims are invariably vague and unsubstantiated. Tehran has dismissed Trump’s accusations as ignorant.

Evidently, the Europeans do not have the same pejorative view of Iran as a “global sponsor of terrorism” as the Americans. Neither does China or Russia. Even before Trump decertified the JCPOA – a move which could trigger a full-blown cancellation after a Congressional review requested by the president – there was already talk about Washington and Europe clashing. “Europe and the USA on collision course,” ran a headline in Deutsche Welle in August.

Now, after Tillerson’s pointed warning to the Europeans to “stay out of Iran,” the US is ramping up the clash. Bloomberg headlined last week: “Trump’s Iran policy is a headache for EU business.” The report noted, however, that: “America’s U-turn on nuclear accord won’t spike existing [European investment] deals.”

Since the signing of the JCPOA two years ago, European investment and trade with Iran have burgeoned. For example, French oil major Total earlier this year finalized a 20-year oil and gas project worth around €5 billion, along with a Chinese firm.

That followed the announcement of multi-million euro investment plans by car manufacturers Renault and PSA (Peugeot and Citroen) to expand factories in Iran. This month, only days after Trump announced he was decertifying the JCPOA, a Norwegian-led consortium signed a €3 billion project with Iran to build solar panels for the international market. “Norway is fully committed to the JCPOA,” said the Norwegian ambassador to Iran.

Germany and France have both seen exports to Iran rapidly multiply. The German chamber of commerce expects total bilateral commerce to double in the next two years. Next month, the EU’s foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini is to travel to Washington where she will reiterate the bloc’s resolute support for the nuclear accord. Last week, Mogherini made the case that Europe must now take global leadership. She didn’t mention Trump by name, but it was clear she was rebuking Washington’s isolationist policy.

Germany’s Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel has also berated Washington’s bullying tactics over Iran. Gabriel said Trump was inevitably pushing Europe toward consolidating economic interests with China and Russia.

Following Tillerson’s lecturing to the EU earlier this week about not investing in Iran, the New York Times reported: “European diplomats have said they would defend their companies against such sanctions, potentially setting up an epic battle between close allies and two of the largest commercial markets on the planet.”

This is the ineluctable thing. The Europeans have already committed enormous amounts of capital to developing trade and industry with Iran – a country that ranks in the global top five for oil and gas reserves. With a population of 80 million and a high standard of education, Iran promises to be a lucrative growth area. Even under decades of US-led sanctions, the country scored impressive achievements in development, innovation, and engineering.

Unlike the Europeans, the US has negligible commercial ties with Iran. It is therefore easy for Washington to threaten sanctions against that country. Washington has little to lose. Not so the Europeans. For the Trump administration to say that investments are “at risk” is therefore seen as an outrageous infringement on Europe’s future economic plans.

As France’s Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire told American officials ahead of Trump’s expected knock-back to the Iran deal: “The US must not appoint itself as a global policeman." The irony is that Washington’s overweening attitude toward its European “allies” is likely to hasten the global dynamic it most fears. That is the decline of American economic power and the rise of a multipolar global order.

Former US President Jimmy Carter acknowledged the shift when referring to North Korea this week and the need for diplomacy. He said the US was “no longer dominant” and that “Russia was coming back, and China and India were coming forward.”

The once-mighty American dollar is increasingly challenged in its status as the world’s top reserve currency. China is moving to a gold-backed yuan payments system for its imports and exports. Russia is stockpiling gold reserves, in another move which is seen as Moscow making preparations for a break with the US-dominated financial order.

Washington still retains tremendous control over international banking and finance. It has veto power at the International Monetary Fund, and it dominates the SWIFT banking system for payments.

Nevertheless, nothing remains forever. China and Russia are making strides toward economic life without the dollar. The Europeans already have a reserve currency with the euro. If push comes to shove, the EU could conduct its business with Iran and let the Americans go hang. With China and Russia already forging ahead on a new multipolar global order, the Europeans might soon realize that their best interests are served from breaking away from Washington’s shadow.

It is increasingly apparent especially under Trump that American interests are colliding with those of European “allies.” In the end, it comes down to the exigency of self-interest. Europe is finding it simply can’t afford America’s stupid arrogance. Washington’s hectoring of allies is digging its own grave as a global power.

(*) Finian Cunningham (born 1963) has written extensively on international affairs, with articles published in several languages. Originally from Belfast, Ireland, he is a Master’s graduate in Agricultural Chemistry and worked as a scientific editor for the Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, England, before pursuing a career in newspaper journalism. For over 20 years he worked as an editor and writer in major news media organizations, including The Mirror, Irish Times and Independent.

https://www.rt.com/op-edge/407645-us-ir ... tillerson/
Step by step the US is sinking below the horizon... The sooner, the better...

Doc

Post by Doc » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:52 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:11 am
"The US deep state love affair with the Arab Muslims is totally inexplicable." (dagbay) Could one or both of these factors be in play?
1. Arab oil had a strong influence over corruptable deep state types.
2. Deep state types are often aligned with anti-Semitic/anti-Israel interests.

"Europe had a lot more Jewry prior to the Second World War." (neverfail) And then what happened?
I think there is little doubt about Arab money flowing to the Washington establishment. They are corrupt in so many ways.
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx