Milo wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:10 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:34 am
SteveFoerster wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:46 pm
Sertorio wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:56 pm
Syria is a secular, multi-ethnic and multi-religious state, and it should remain so. Russia and Iran, together, are the best chance for Syria to be an open society.
Given that neither Russia nor Iran are open societies, that would seem a rather unlikely outcome of their patronage.
Russia is a great Christian country and Iran is a great Shia Muslim country. That should be enough to guarantee respect of the Syrian diversity.
America is a great Christian country and Israel is a great Jewish country. That should be enough to guarantee respect of the Syrian diversity.
No, because neither cares about Syria. If I was living in Canada I would make sure you would never be my lawyer... :D
Oh please. Russian and Iranian policymakers don't give a shit about Syria either, other than for their own geopolitical manoeuvring.
For my two cents, that self concern demonstrated by Russia, Iran, Turkey and others is essentially what all countries do, except that some are more meddlesome than others and some use economic and other means to achieve their goals. As for non-democratic Russia and Iran fostering "democratic institutions" in a new "Syria" state - I can think of some well known fairy tails for any believer in this one.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.