No, stay in the U.N., I'm not an American
33%

Total votes: 12

Sertorio

Re: Exit the United Nations?

Post by Sertorio » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:55 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:02 am
As for not being exceptional or superior in any way, you've apparently mistaken them for Portugal. (See how obnoxious that is?)
We are really superior, but we are too shy to let other people realize it... We prefer to enjoy our superiority in complete silence... :lol: :lol: :lol:

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:29 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:36 am
Sertorio and neverfail fail to mention Israel's departure.
Oh, but I did Jim! :D

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:38 am

A new honcho at UNESCO was just voted in. She's French, and promises to reform the organization. Apparently the two Arabs who had thrown their headgear in the ring split the Muslim vote. We'll see.

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:40 pm

Jim the Moron wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:38 am
A new honcho at UNESCO was just voted in. She's French, and promises to reform the organization. Apparently the two Arabs who had thrown their headgear in the ring split the Muslim vote. We'll see.
The reality is that France is so far in the arms of Arabia that it is unlikely to reform the corrupt UNESCO organization. The agenda may be influenced by the leaders but the majority of members are going to continue the deranged path that this and other UN branches have been following.
For UNESCO to reform itself it needs to stick to truth which now days is relative and commutative.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

Sertorio

Post by Sertorio » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:49 am

dagbay wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:40 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
The reality is that France is so far in the arms of Arabia that it is unlikely to reform the corrupt UNESCO organization. The agenda may be influenced by the leaders but the majority of members are going to continue the deranged path that this and other UN branches have been following.
For UNESCO to reform itself it needs to stick to truth which now days is relative and commutative.
How does it feel living in an alternative universe?... Did the Kaiser win the war in that universe? Do people still believe the Earth is flat?... :lol:

dagbay

Post by dagbay » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:53 am

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:49 am

How does it feel living in an alternative universe?... Did the Kaiser win the war in that universe? Do people still believe the Earth is flat?... :lol:
Flat as an alternative universe pancake. And kaiser's is still in power after a 1000 of Alternate years to be succeeded by his father when he is born.
I'd rather be diving or flying alas for now I am on terra firma.

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:27 am

Sertorio wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:49 am
dagbay wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:40 pm
Jim the Moron wrote:
It is you who are living in a universe that does not exist.

Alexis

US left UNESCO for one reason only

Post by Alexis » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:25 am

Jim the Moron wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:36 am
Sertorio and neverfail fail to mention Israel's departure. And they fail to mention that it is because of the gross anti-Israel bias by UNESCO that the US chose to withdraw. Anti-Semitism is not a game.
Jim I'm sure you are sincere in your worries about perceived antisemitism from UNESCO, but I think the people who decided the US would leave are not so sincere.

Why did the US leave? Well, that's simple indeed: UNESCO suffers from 565 m$ in arrears in contributions, 96% of which are due by the US. Exit UNESCO, and you save 543 m$! Somebody decided sparing that money was in order. Or that the US risking losing their voting rights as a consequence of those massive arrears would be an humiliation that needed to be avoided.

And why have the US failed to pay any contribution to UNESCO since 2011? Well, that's simple too: that's the year when Palestine joined the organization as a member country. And the US Congress has forbidden payment of any fee to any UN body recognizing Palestine.
PROHIBITION- No funds authorized to be appropriated by this Act or any other Act shall be available for the United Nations or any specialized agency thereof which accords the Palestine Liberation Organization the same standing as member states.
So this is not about "antisemitism", "bad management" or any other claims and pretexts.

The root cause of the US leaving UNESCO is simply that UNESCO recognizes Palestine as a country. No more, no less.

I would remark two things:
- The US are sovereign and decide alone whether they want to be member of this or that organization
- Refusing to recognize Palestine as a country does not prevent it from existing, even as it has been occupied for the last 50 years

Generally, when the US choose to leave a given international organization that others find useful, two things will happen:
1. Words to the effect of "deep regrets" and such along with titles in newspapers, during a couple days
2. Said international organization... will merely continue to exist :)

cassowary

Post by cassowary » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:27 am

But the US can continue to remain and simply refuse to pay. Why should they pay to an antisemitic organization? If they get kicked out so opposing antisemitism so be it.

Jim the Moron

Post by Jim the Moron » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:19 am

"Robert Mugabe made 'goodwill ambassador' by World Health Organisation"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10 ... anisation/

Well, why not? (blush)