Spengler

Doc

Re: Spengler

Post by Doc » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:27 am

Apollonius wrote:
Doc wrote:Is David No longer posting articles at the Atimes?

Apparently he is not only posting articles, he is now part owner:

David P. Goldman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_P._Goldman
David Paul Goldman (born September 27, 1951) is an American economist,[1] music critic, and author, best known for his series of online essays in the Asia Times under the pseudonym Spengler. Goldman says that he writes from a Judeo-Christian perspective and often focuses on demographic and economic factors in his analyses; he says his subject matter proceeds "from the theme formulated by [Franz] Rosenzweig: the mortality of nations and its causes, Western secularism, Asian anomie, and unadaptable Islam."[2] On March 14, 2015, Goldman and long time Asia Times associate, Uwe Von Parpart, took control of Asia Times HK Ltd.
Yeah, I figured that at the time the Atimes was sold.

Reading through this Wikipedia entry I noticed that David also occasionally contributes to the Claremont Review of Books.

Here is a piece I enjoyed which is a fuller treatment of a theme that he has taken up elsewhere:

Eternal youth and living death
- David P. Goldman, Claremont Review of Books, 4 December 2015
http://www.claremont.org/crb/basicpage/ ... ing-death/
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:35 am

Apollonius wrote:Apparently he is not only posting articles, he is now part owner:
Kind of shitty of him to have killed off the old forum then, IMHO.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

Doc

Post by Doc » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:47 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Apollonius wrote:Apparently he is not only posting articles, he is now part owner:
He stopped posting there after constantly being trolled.
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:29 pm

Doc wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Oh, I see. Understandable, then.

Apollonius

Post by Apollonius » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:23 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
Doc wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:

Doc is right about that. However, he also gets trolled in the comments section of his essays, so I do have to wonder how exactly things have improved for him.

DMadmin

Post by DMadmin » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:27 pm

Apollonius wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Doc wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:

Doc is right about that. However, he also gets trolled in the comments section of his essays, so I do have to wonder how exactly things have improved for him.
At least on Disqus (Which I think they are no longer using) posts can be approved before they are posted. I am not sure how the currect facebook(?) system works as I won't ever use Facebook.

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:01 am

DMadmin wrote:
Apollonius wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Doc wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:

At least on Disqus (Which I think they are no longer using) posts can be approved before they are posted. I am not sure how the current facebook(?) system works as I won't ever use Facebook.
Especially these days you're not missing anything. It's become a "battle of the bubbles" in that people tend to exist within their own political echo chambers. It's like everyone's forgotten the purpose of the Internet is to share funny cat videos or something.

DMadmin

Post by DMadmin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:41 am

SteveFoerster wrote:
DMadmin wrote:
Apollonius wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
Doc wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote: Kind of shitty of him to have killed off the old forum then, IMHO.

At least on Disqus (Which I think they are no longer using) posts can be approved before they are posted. I am not sure how the current facebook(?) system works as I won't ever use Facebook.
Especially these days you're not missing anything. It's become a "battle of the bubbles" in that people tend to exist within their own political echo chambers. It's like everyone's forgotten the purpose of the Internet is to share funny cat videos or something.
My issue with Facebook has more to do with the lack of privacy while Mr Zuckerberg uses heavy handed tactics to ensure his privacy.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... uai-estate
Hawaiians call Mark Zuckerberg 'the face of neocolonialism' over land lawsuits

Attorneys for Facebook’s CEO have filed suits against hundreds of Hawaiians centered around his 700-acre Kauai estate, alarming neighbors

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:15 am

DMadmin wrote:
SteveFoerster wrote:
DMadmin wrote:At least on Disqus (Which I think they are no longer using) posts can be approved before they are posted. I am not sure how the current facebook(?) system works as I won't ever use Facebook.
My issue with Facebook has more to do with the lack of privacy while Mr Zuckerberg uses heavy handed tactics to ensure his privacy.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... uai-estate
Hawaiians call Mark Zuckerberg 'the face of neocolonialism' over land lawsuits

Attorneys for Facebook’s CEO have filed suits against hundreds of Hawaiians centered around his 700-acre Kauai estate, alarming neighbors
Fair enough. I'm perfectly comfortable with there being multiple reasons to dislike Facebook. ;)

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:27 am

David has been busy this week. Two essays published in PJMedia and AsiaTime cover a similar theme:
"....For those of us who cut our teeth on classical economics, it does seem a bit unusual for global stock markets (including Asian markets) to rally right after a new US administration pulled the plug on decades of Asian trade diplomacy. It also seems unusual for the Mexican peso to rise against the US dollar a day after the White House rumored a 20% tariff on Mexican imports to pay for a border wall. ....."
http://www.atimes.com/article/trade-war-nobody-came/
The mainstream press is blaming Trump for everything including a down day on the stock market. Bloomberg News began its lead stock market story today, "U.S. stocks fell the most since the presidential election, while Treasuries advanced with gold as Donald Trump’s order on immigration raised concern that he may follow through with isolationist policies touted on the campaign trail, overshadowing a pro-growth agenda." Now, that is perhaps the silliest piece of financial commentary that I have read in half a century of market-watching. What do immigrants from Syria and and Somalia have to do with the US stock market? If the idea weren't idiotic on the face of it, one might point out that the Mexican peso--the shaky currency of the one country subject to protectionist threats from Washington during the past week--rose today while the US stock market fell. In fact, the Mexico peso has risen almost 4% during the past week. If the market is worried about Trump's supposed isolationism, why is the country most affected doing better?
https://pjmedia.com/spengler/2017/01/30 ... epage=true

Everything else up there is encapsulated HERE:

https://pjmedia.com/spengler/2017/01/28 ... tly-right/
The liberals claim that the immigration halt will convince Muslims that the U.S. administration isn't fighting ISIS and other terrorists, but Muslims as a religious group. Some conservatives, e.g. Walter Russell Mead, call it "callous." The latter characterization is misleading. It is callous towards individual Muslims but merciful to American citizens, who have the right to go about their business without fear of mass terrorist attacks. In Europe, the elites accept a certain level of terrorism as the cost of doing business, and the people grudgingly accept it. Americans don't see why they should sacrifice their safety or sense of security to accommodate the hurt feelings of other people. Prof. Mead compares this to America's refusal to accept Jewish immigrants during the Holocaust. I respect Mead, but I find the comparison offensive: How many Jewish refugees from Hitler murdered civilians at random (the answer is, not one)?
That's a bunch, now rock it.........
Let's try this modelling exercise. Let's envision a world in a parallel universe somewhere let's say, where I'm right.........