David Goldman: Will China overtake the U.S. as the world's leading superpower?

lzzrdgrrl

David Goldman: Will China overtake the U.S. as the world's leading superpower?

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:20 pm

27th October, 2017, David speaks for an audience at Westminster Institute. Fifty minute talk, twenty minute Q&A:

I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

neverfail

Re: David Goldman: Will China overtake the U.S. as the world's leading superpower?

Post by neverfail » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:05 am

lzzrdgrrl

I watched David Goldman for over half an hour. Quite a bit of his address went "over my head" as his listening audience was apparently comprised of an esoteric crowd whose average level of tertiary education and involvement in worldly affairs exceeds my own. However, in the opening part of his address which was a potted description of how Chinese history has shaped Chinese civilisation and the Chinese character, the part in which I was most interested in and where can claim some modest expertise of my own; I can assure you that Mr Goldman is both well informed and quite profound in his insights.

He even clarified a couple of points that had previously puzzled me for years.

My sole complaint is that for the rest of his address he seemed to meander at times from one unrelated point to another. That caused me to lose the thread and with that to wearily, eventually lose interest.

Doc

Re: David Goldman: Will China overtake the U.S. as the world's leading superpower?

Post by Doc » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:49 pm

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:20 pm
27th October, 2017, David speaks for an audience at Westminster Institute. Fifty minute talk, twenty minute Q&A:

Great find LG !!!
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:37 am

The question I find myself asking, which Mr. Goldman does not satisfactorily answer, is need we fear China?

SteveFoerster

Post by SteveFoerster » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:37 pm

neverfail wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:37 am
The question I find myself asking, which Mr. Goldman does not satisfactorily answer, is need we fear China?
I'm not afraid at all, and that's not swagger like I think they're weak because I know they're not.
Writer, technologist, educator, gadfly.
President of New World University: http://newworld.ac

neverfail

Post by neverfail » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:28 pm

SteveFoerster wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:37 pm
neverfail wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:37 am
I'm not afraid at all, and that's not swagger like I think they're weak because I know they're not.
I think that I agree with you on that Steve. China, I believe, would be content as being boss of its own immediate neighbourhood.

lzzrdgrrl

Post by lzzrdgrrl » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:48 pm

Doc wrote:Great find LG !!!
I find he has a pleasant voice and is quite easy to listen to. David should consider keeping a video blog not because he needs the patreon, but because it's a good way to reach a younger audience. YouTube for millennials is [was] like CBS and ABC for people my age and older.....'>.......
I have a certain notoriety among the lesser gods........

Doc

Post by Doc » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:19 am

lzzrdgrrl wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:48 pm
Doc wrote:Great find LG !!!
I find he has a pleasant voice and is quite easy to listen to. David should consider keeping a video blog not because he needs the patreon, but because it's a good way to reach a younger audience. YouTube for millennials is [was] like CBS and ABC for people my age and older.....'>.......
Yeah I think you are probably right.
The classes and the races to weak to master the new conditions of life must give way {..} They must perish in the revolutionary holocaust --Karl Marx